Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
Hi all,

A while ago i posted an issue with my horn where it was intermitantly going off.

The Conclusion was, apparently theres a barcode sticker at the back of the steering wheel touching the horn pad.

I really need to fix this and i'm wondering how i get to it. I've had a look at the back of the steering wheel... doesn't appear to be any clips or screws

How do i get the face of the wheel off?

Thanks.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
there are 4 screws behind the wheel. they may have plastic covers on them though. Disconnect your battery and wait 5 minutes or so. undo the bolts and the wheel can be taken apart. i can dig up a few photos if u like.

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Steps:

1. Disconnect battery

2. Remove airbag fuse

3. Disconnect airbag wiring harness from under dashboard (optional)

4. Remove the 4 torx screws from the back of the wheel to release the airbag and remove it slowly.

5. Keep the airbag facing away from you and slide you flathead screwdriver under the yellow airbag connector and pop it out.

6. Remove the airbag and place it in the open, out of sunlight, face up and away from static sources.

you should be able to get to the horn now

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Good writeup Nicko, but the VY airbag is a little different... ;)

Step 1 and 2 are fine, but on the back of the VY wheel there are no screws - just four small "slots" - turn the wheel for each of these in turn to allow you to slip a flat-blade screwdriver in each of these and twist. The airbag should "pop out" a little with each one. If it doesn't, don't worry too much - move to the next one and come back to it. Eventually all the clips will release, and the airbag can be lifted away after unplugging the yellow connector.

Piece-o-cake! :thumbsup:

(just be REAL carful with static electricity when you're handling the airbag. When you're lifting the bag from the wheel, stand on the ground outside the car, and touch the frame of the car before you grab the airbag. (to dissipate any static charge you might be carrying)

Cheerz!

Timmos

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
10' VE SSV
Thanks Nicko and Phreddy,

I did find the slots behind the steering wheel before but i wouldn't of know to twist.

And just as told, there was a barcode pealing off that would of been touching the horn pad.

feel much better now I'm road worthy again and have my horn back :thumbsup:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Well done Tim - saved you'rself probably $100 or so - a dealer would surely have charged you that to fix something like this - Oh, plus parts of course.....

It would definitely have needed a new steering wheel, and clockspring, and most likely an airbag assembly as well!! :rofl:

Yeah, I've seen that metal barcode sticker - the only question I have is WHY A METAL LABEL, HOLDEN??!?? Would a heavy duty plastic one have done just as well?? With a whole lot less chance of shorting something out - I guess it's lucky that it was only shorting the horn contact, and not something to do with the airbag!

Cheerz Mate, later.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
nah phreddy, not parts, its POL now. Parts, Oils, Lubricants. ie, add the parts together and MARK UP 50%!

small rant: the holden dealer charged me for 8 litres of engine oil when doing a service on an LS! VY...? the hanyhes manual says under 6 litres....??????

BASTARDS!!!

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
could have used 2 L to flush the motor. i put 1L of oil through after iv drained my sump just to get the rest of the black stuff out

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
make sure the electrical connector lug on the other side of the wheel is bent flat against the metal of the wheel too, or the horn goes off whenever you turn right...