Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo install problem - Aerpro kits causing stereo and lights to stay on

Drewzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 07
Hi guys, I've had a very quick browse of the other threads on this but i haven't found any direct help.

I purchased a new kenwoods stereo, single din aepro facia kit and aepro commodore to iso - iso to kenwood lumes.

I have successfully connected all i thought was required but the stereo remains off when you start the car.
then you manually turn it on, when you stop the car you have to manually turn it off.

The lights also stay on and the alarm will not arm.. soooo i've clearly missed something.

Can anyone advise. I will say the harness lume had two loose wires which I did not join to anything as there were no instructions as to what they are for?

I think one was brown (mute) and the other was the power control unit for turning **** like amps on and off? (blue and white)

Whats the go?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
For some reason the VY/Z Aerpro harness's have the 12v constant and accessories (red and yellow) around the wrong way, swap these two wires around and you will be all sweet. They should have bullet plugs so is easy to switch.

Drewzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 07
you beauty, I'll do that first thing in the morning and let everyone know how it goes. Attached are photos for reference for anyone else who searches this problem.

2015-01-01204017_zpsf1141ddf.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Make sure you test it before you put your dash back together, much easier to change things when its still pulled apart.

calobes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
For some reason the VY/Z Aerpro harness's have the 12v constant and accessories (red and yellow) around the wrong way, swap these two wires around and you will be all sweet. They should have bullet plugs so is easy to switch.

Yep, this had me ####ed for a solid 2hrs installing mine. Know why they do it?

I also had to get the steering wheel control harness, plus it's a clarion so more harnesses needed on top of that. I could barely fit the wiring behind the head unit

Drewzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 07
That should be factory recall for aepro, and yeah, I re-assembled, called my wife down to be like, see how fkn good i am! and she says ... is it suppose to do this?
so now I've pulled down the dash assembly twice and I'm sure not wanting to have to do it again!

Thanks heaps guys! I would never have worked that out on my own.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
the headunit to iso harnesses from aerpro are correct, as are the iso to vy/z harnesses(if you omit this extra harness, you need to switch the red and yellow). your harness setup is correct.

the problem is most likely your door switch playing up and possibly a blown accesories fuse.

you need to change the settings on the car so that the radio turns off with ignition instead of opening the door(check vy/z stickies for a howto)

and check your fuses under the steering column.

Drewzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 07
Thanks for the additional areas to check.
Firstly I started and stopped accessories with nothing connected to ensure lights and other accessories behaved correctly. Check!
I then connected the stereo, with the reversed power / ignition wiring and checked again. This time it worked perfectly, automatically starting and stopping when drivers door is opened. Check!
Then I attached the aerials dab / FM and this functioned perfectly.

Conclusion:
Aerpro wiring needs modification to operate correctly.
Part No# APP064
Part No# APP8KE1
Switch red and yellow bullet connectors
Without this modification your car will not lock, lights will remain on and the stereo will only turn off manually.

Thanks guys

BROOKSBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV
Thanks for the additional areas to check.
Firstly I started and stopped accessories with nothing connected to ensure lights and other accessories behaved correctly. Check!
I then connected the stereo, with the reversed power / ignition wiring and checked again. This time it worked perfectly, automatically starting and stopping when drivers door is opened. Check!
Then I attached the aerials dab / FM and this functioned perfectly.

Conclusion:
Aerpro wiring needs modification to operate correctly.
Part No# APP064
Part No# APP8KE1
Switch red and yellow bullet connectors
Without this modification your car will not lock, lights will remain on and the stereo will only turn off manually.

Thanks guys

I replaced my headunit in my VY. I never had this problem with the aerpro kits. I used the commodore to ISO cable and ISO to Pioneer.