Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sth Aust drivers (P platers under 25) to be banned from driving high powered cars

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I was going to write a big rant about how all the youngins here need to get a grip and just deal with it, its a good law. but i will control myself. needless to say though, taking away the temptation is much easier than trying to change the attitudes egos of the people behind the wheel, most of the P platers i know could use a couple more years to mature and get over the novelty of driving before being allowed behind something with decent power.

Maybe that was still a rant hey...

As much as a VN V6 is a boat anchor, it can still quite easily get up to speed and kill 2 car loads of people. Anyone who thinks it can't is delusional. IF these laws would prevent injuries/deaths, everyone would be all for them. But they wont.......

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
There are a lot of small, light cars without a V8 or turbo/supercharger out there that can be pretty fast and stop and handle well, but most don't even have ABS let alone airbags. So they can be more dangerous then say an 8 year old v8 berlina :)

Still, it is all a maturity thing, If I all these P plater laws were around when I was on my P's I probably would still be on them. Although in the last 3 years or so I have become more mature and don't care to race or speed anymore. So they have a point.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
There are a lot of small, light cars without a V8 or turbo/supercharger out there that can be pretty fast and stop and handle well, but most don't even have ABS let alone airbags. So they can be more dangerous then say an 8 year old v8 berlina :)

Still, it is all a maturity thing, If I all these P plater laws were around when I was on my P's I probably would still be on them. Although in the last 3 years or so I have become more mature and don't care to race or speed anymore. So they have a point.

Yep, Alot of cars also dont have the safety rating that some of the performance cars do.
Alot of people also dont value thier lives or that of others.

Young people shouldnt complain about the laws anyway, it may just save your life or some one elses.
Experience when young is Key, so learning to crawl before you can walk is probably a good thing.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
tell the government to stop WASTING our money.

You seriously want to make changes for the better put money towards Mr Jordans drivers ed program started at banksia park & birdwood highschools.

That class has saved my ass numerous times and many others and the government has been hesitent to take it on and even tried to drop it.

Im sorry but until THAT class or something like it is properly recognised and funded, these laws are nothing more than pure bs to look good.

I've brought this to the attention of our local MP and he supports it, the rest dont... they look at the cost and then pick other more 'important issues' like putting check your speed now ' stickers on wheelie bins.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Yep, Alot of cars also dont have the safety rating that some of the performance cars do.
Alot of people also dont value thier lives or that of others.

Young people shouldnt complain about the laws anyway, it may just save your life or some one elses.
Experience when young is Key, so learning to crawl before you can walk is probably a good thing.

Young people should complain. Its the ones who aren't morons that these laws effect. The morons who cant drive will just drive these cars illegally......
Personal experience, i learnt to drive my V8 the day i turned 18. And highly recommend it to anyone!

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
You can pay for advanced driver training but you cannot buy experience.

The young people who want funding for better/advanced driver training should consider spending some money on that before they spend thousands of dollars on turning their cars into missiles.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
You can pay for advanced driver training but you cannot buy experience.

The young people who want funding for better/advanced driver training should consider spending some money on that before they spend thousands of dollars on turning their cars into missiles.

Where do we get instructions for doing this? I want a missile!!

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The annoying thing is, the people who are often writing themselves off are people in shitbox VN V6's trying to be a hero. Majority of the ones who die are in cars that are not effected by these laws. If anyone thinks an aftermarket exhaust can change a VS Commodore from a stock, safe friendly car to a rampaging horsepower machine ready to kill an 18-21 year old they are morons. A V6 with an exhaust, extractors, CAI is not going to give the car any noticeable "missile" power. The only reason its a missile is because the government has given the driver a license.

How does this law do anything to save anyone people are still driving the same claptrap they are driving now?

Like minux and others have said. Victoria has proved this law is rubbish. I am sure NSW could also offer some incite into the effectiveness of this wonderful law.

Also, I am not effected by these laws in any way shape or form and never have been so Im not against them because I want to keep my V8.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Like minux and others have said. Victoria has proved this law is rubbish. I am sure NSW could also offer some incite into the effectiveness of this wonderful law.

It would be nice if him saying it made it true, but if you actually look at the statistics, fatal crashes in the 18-25yo bracket have been trending downwards in the last few years since performance restrictions, while the number of people on the roads has only been increasing. How much of this decrease is directly attributable to vehicle restrictions I can't say, but the numbers suggest they are helping to some extent.

Source: http://statistics.infrastructure.go...bguest/Road Deaths by State and Territory.txd