Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stop thieves

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Can't see this as anything more than a disturbance to your neigboures/suburb (some poor piss head needs to do a piss behind a tree and bang, air horns go off). There are restrictions on the decible levels on alarms.
Sounds like your pretty paranoid.
Have you got insurance, i have this so that my neighbours and myself can sleep easly.
Sound like you need an alert dog, as they will bark if someone is around, and don't require reseting at 3am in the morning.
How will you charge your battery?
Do you think you should use a relay, as its only a matter of time before the switch contacts get welded together, and you can't switch it off in a hurry.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Can't see this as anything more than a disturbance to your neigboures/suburb (some poor piss head needs to do a piss behind a tree and bang, air horns go off). There are restrictions on the decible levels on alarms.
Sounds like your pretty paranoid.
Have you got insurance, i have this so that my neighbours and myself can sleep easly.
Sound like you need an alert dog, as they will bark if someone is around, and don't require reseting at 3am in the morning.
How will you charge your battery?
Do you think you should use a relay, as its only a matter of time before the switch contacts get welded together, and you can't switch it off in a hurry.

Spot on.... !!

VL-VP-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Statesman GEN III
long time offline.
anyways this idea was well worth it because yes I was renting. Don't like dogs, it was a much cheaper and easier option than building a carport/garage or moving to a house with one. the idea of the trip wires is to prevent damage to locks and glass on the vehicle, yes I do have car insurance, putting the wires up is much less hassle than waiting for the insurance company to pay up, and is again a much cheaper option than having to pay excess on insurance, and having a higher premium next year.
as for the pics requested I have now moved house and haven't yet set it back up. I could possibly draw a diagram and add that.
as for charging the battery I have and $15 battery charger thats works fine, on average though I get approx 3 months battery life b4 charging is required.
Switching off was relatively easy, as I ran a separate switch into the laundry of the house which was easily accessed.
if some poor pissed bastard wants to piss in my yard I hope it scares hell out of him and he pisses down his leg.
As for the contacts becoming welded together, I tested the compressor, and no welding occured after it had been running for 10 minutes. although after ten minutes battery was gettin slightly sluggish, oh well got the charger out and charged it.

the more poeple that use this idea the more common the knowledge will be and therefor the little bastards will start looking for it. well I think in everyones application if it became common knowlege, the setup would be different.
anyways it has worked for me in the past, I stated respones above to those who replied.
I do believe everyone has right to their opinions, so I thank you all for your replies

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Well mate, you did put in a lot of thought, you planned it, put in the work, and its a solution that works for you. Does seem like a lot of effort, certainly wouldnt work for anyone, but at least it shows you are capable of pulling off a working system.

I was going to say, just get it insured and if your still wanting to keep it, put in a kill switch. The only problem there being, they can just break all sorts of parts on your car, and it wouldnt be worth going through insurance. Police wouldnt be too concerned. You have just about no chance of covering the damage financially without digging into your own wallet.

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
long time offline.
anyways this idea was well worth it because yes I was renting. Don't like dogs, it was a much cheaper and easier option than building a carport/garage or moving to a house with one. the idea of the trip wires is to prevent damage to locks and glass on the vehicle, yes I do have car insurance, putting the wires up is much less hassle than waiting for the insurance company to pay up, and is again a much cheaper option than having to pay excess on insurance, and having a higher premium next year.
as for the pics requested I have now moved house and haven't yet set it back up. I could possibly draw a diagram and add that.
as for charging the battery I have and $15 battery charger thats works fine, on average though I get approx 3 months battery life b4 charging is required.
Switching off was relatively easy, as I ran a separate switch into the laundry of the house which was easily accessed.
if some poor pissed bastard wants to piss in my yard I hope it scares hell out of him and he pisses down his leg.
As for the contacts becoming welded together, I tested the compressor, and no welding occured after it had been running for 10 minutes. although after ten minutes battery was gettin slightly sluggish, oh well got the charger out and charged it.

the more poeple that use this idea the more common the knowledge will be and therefor the little bastards will start looking for it. well I think in everyones application if it became common knowlege, the setup would be different.
anyways it has worked for me in the past, I stated respones above to those who replied.
I do believe everyone has right to their opinions, so I thank you all for your replies

Did you move to a place with a garage?
You still have not addresed the issue of being a pain in the ass to the neighbourhood.
The switch will be fine if the compressor is running for ten minutes, contact welding will occur on a cold start up when the current will be at it's highest.

Well, maybe your right about the piss head on your property, i should have said a stray cat or dog could have triggered it off.

jaarze

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Exec V6

As long as its not goin off everynight i'd be glad for my neighbour to hav one set up. Lets the whole street,block,suburb know theres a prowler around the area.

Kdouble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina, CX8 Adventra
Sounds like a cool idea but I'm not quite sure how it would work in practice, surely you need to have one of the trip wires going across the width of the driveway as that is the most obvious way that someone is going to approach your car, but then it needs to be high enough that you can drive under it when you get home, but then it's at chest to neck height and would be a major annoyance any time you wanted to go get something out of your car, or is the system meant to be set up and dismantled every day

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Are there any legal issues with having a system like this that could potentially cause injury to an unsuspecting fellon? I would guess if one were to injure themselves they could then attempt to get $ from you for causing them an injury.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Epic thread revival ftw!