Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

strut tops

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
hello. My car has developed abit of a clunk and iv noticed that my strut tops have raised off the strut towers about 15mm on both sides. When the bounce the front end up and down I can see there is a bit of play in the tops aswell. Heard it could be a bearing or something? What esacly is wrong and how much am I looking to get it fixed.
thanks

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
To buy the strut top mounts and bearings, you're looking at about $180 for both sides from Holden.

It's not a hard job to do yourself, have a search in the HOW TO section about changing shocks and springs to find out how to remove your struts.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Or think about ordering the Superpro ones. Supercheap can order them or talk to Not_An_Abba_Fan. Cheaper than the Holden ones, but less likely to collapse again. They're polyurethane rather than rubber.

If your strut tops are gone, chances are your radius rod to chassis bushes are too. They are the big hydraulic bushes if you look under your front bar at the front cross member. They crack, the glycol leaks out and they move around causing sloppy steering and movement under braking. Again, Superpro do these and you can get them as with the strut tops.

Last edited:

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
looks like ill have to get some of these superpro ones. Genuine ones are ****.

6-PAC-ATTACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EX S1 3.8L
looks like ill have to get some of these superpro ones. Genuine ones are ****.

you rekon ?mine lasted ten years of hard driving i bet the after market ones dont last as long and if you do your reaserch you will find they dont

6-PAC-ATTACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EX S1 3.8L
To buy the strut top mounts and bearings, you're looking at about $180 for both sides from Holden.

It's not a hard job to do yourself, have a search in the HOW TO section about changing shocks and springs to find out how to remove your struts.

mate i got mine for 70$ for the mounts at holden and you can get the bearings for 40$ at repco if you need them

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
We supply the Boge brand ones, with brand new bearings (don't have to re use the bearings like some others), and these are $65 each. I personally would just stick to rubber in strut tops. They don't move around anywhere near as much as control arms when it comes to alignment, and it keeps the ride sane.

Regards,
Greg

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ok thanks, I might just get them redone when I get my springs changed The struts have to come out to chnange the front springs dont they?

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
ok thanks, I might just get them redone when I get my springs changed The struts have to come out to chnange the front springs dont they?

Certainly do. The strut tops have to come off so it's a no brainer to check/replace them at the same time. The bearings in them are probably gone too.