Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stumped

roby02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe wagon
i have just done a set of LIMs on the VTwagon
flushed out the cooling system ect afterwards and everything seems fine under the bonnet no leaks engine runs fine
But when you look out the rear there is a constant flow of exhaust gasses at idle, goes when you raise the revs,
rev and drop and a lot of smoke comes out
at first i thought it was from condensation as the car was parked in the shed for awhile
smoke its really coloured it looks like steam but with exhaust smell (if you know what i mean)
has me stumped as i also have a WH Stato that for the last month has been doing the same (v6 supercharged)
could it be that the gaskets havent sealed or are faulty (plastic ones)

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
i have just done a set of LIMs on the VTwagon
flushed out the cooling system ect afterwards and everything seems fine under the bonnet no leaks engine runs fine
But when you look out the rear there is a constant flow of exhaust gasses at idle, goes when you raise the revs,
rev and drop and a lot of smoke comes out
at first i thought it was from condensation as the car was parked in the shed for awhile
smoke its really coloured it looks like steam but with exhaust smell (if you know what i mean)
has me stumped as i also have a WH Stato that for the last month has been doing the same (v6 supercharged)
could it be that the gaskets havent sealed or are faulty (plastic ones)
Sorry but what are LIMs?????

roby02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe wagon
some forums refer to the inlet manifold gaskets as LIMs
sorry about that

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I was told that a bit of steam out the exhaust was a sign of a good healthy engine

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
In winter, cold damp air is drawn in through the motor, when it reaches the cold exhaust pipe, it condenses back to visable water vapor! That gives the impression of smoke. After the exhaust system warms up, it will not be visable.

roby02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe wagon
thanks guys

the Stato still does it after being run for 5 mins ect but as stated has been cold
the VT well havent had a chance to take it for a spin yet just to take it out of shed and park infront