Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub issues

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Evening folks.
I have an issue with a new system in my "other" car. In my Berlina I have a 10"sub hooked up to a 4 channel amp, bridging 2 channels, with the front speakers on the other 2 channels and the rear speakers to the deck. This is the deck in the Berlina. Kenwood KDC-U549BT 200W Car CD/MP3 Tuner | GPS & Car Sound, Car CD Tuner : JB HI-FI and it sounds great and pumps out the bass. In the Verada it is set up the same but with an additional 10" sub. ( 2x 10" in a custom box) I have this deck and amp:
MTX RT404 Road Thunder 4 Ch Amplifier 400 Watts - RT404
Mongoose - Q222 Double DIN GPS
The problem I have in the Verada is that it sounds pretty shithouse. The sub control on the deck and the gain on the amp need to be turned up to max to get any bass, I don't know much about the fine tuning and settings for audio gear, (laymans terms for any advice!!) I'm just good at wiring stuff up, but I know this ain't right, something is wrong somewhere. Can anyone help?
I tried to upload some shots of the equaliser screens on the deck and buttons on the amp etc hoping someone could tell me what to set stuff at but wont let me upload pics from my smartphone, files too big.
The amps are both the same, the subs both the same as far as I can tell, with the additional 10" in the Verada, which are Alpines. I have no further info on the subs sorry.

Cheers guys. Chris.

HEKYEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged 2010 VE SS-V
Crap subs? Crap box?

Maybe take it to a reputable car audio shop and get them to check it out....

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crap subs? Crap box?

Maybe take it to a reputable car audio shop and get them to check it out....

No, subs are fine. Just came out of my mates car.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
id say the gains on the amp have to be set correctly.. is the LPF (low pass filter) turned on for the subs? this is to ensure only the frequencies a sub should play are going to it.

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
id say the gains on the amp have to be set correctly.. is the LPF (low pass filter) turned on for the subs? this is to ensure only the frequencies a sub should play are going to it.
Cheers man, I suspected this but know nothing about it really.
However its all ok now and gain etc needed to be adjusted properly. I found this guide for any other future clueless home installers like me , hope it helps someone!

Tutorial - Amplifier Gain & Crossover Adjustment - Forums - Mobile Electronics AU