Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subs causing car to lose power

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
When I'm driving along, and my music is going pretty loud, subs are going too, my car seems to lose power. Like whenever the bassline hits, it takes power away from the car. It isn't a problem, but it's noticeable and I just want to make sure it isn't going to become a problem. When I turn my music down, it doesn't happen at all, so it's definitely caused by the subs.

I have an 2 Pioneer 12 inch 400W RMS subs with an Alpine MRP1000 giving my subs 1000W RMS.
I have a stock alternator, battery and wire running between alternator and battery (stock as far as I know anyway).
My amp is powered using a 4gauge wire, and the ground wire is also 4 gauge, running straight back to the negative of the battery.

If you need any more clarification then please let me know.

Cheers

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
I have a Sony 1000WRMS amp and 2 sony 1400watt 15's running with 0g cable and stock alternator but bigger battery and mine is fine unless its running full tilt

when you start you car hold down the up and menu buttons so its showing volts and then turn it up it will show you hown much voltage drop you have on the bass hits...

the only way to fix this is to put in something like this BN AUDIOBAHN ACAP7P 1 FARAD DIGITAL CAPACITOR CAR CAP - eBay Amplifiers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 09-Jul-08 19:53:12 AEST) and or upgrade you alternator and battery

But your system is fairly average so you shouldnt have a problem

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
lol fairly average, doesn't sound fairly average mate, and it certainly makes my car lose power, so I do have a problem. Thanks for the info about checking that voltage thing, I had no idea you could do that. That's still the same for the single window trip computer? Thats what I have so just making sure I can still do it on that..

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea it just shows up a diagnostic display there is a thread about it on here somewhere...

And the only prob u will really have is your lights dimming

Have you had a db test done on it? what does it pull?

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
well when your sub beats the amp draws alot of power so the alternator has to work harder therefore making it harder for the engine to turn it requiring more power therefore less power making your car move forward... lol kinda drunk and easiest way i could say it lol.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
IMCRZY - I definitely know about the lights dimming, quite annoying to have to turn the bass down at night lol. I haven't had a test done on it, not really interested, it freakin loud, and I can hear it very clearly from about 100metres away so I'm pretty happy haha (I actually tested that today, I ran down the street and got my sister to turn it up lol). How would I go about testing it to get a number?
VH Commodore - thanks for that clarification, that actual makes perfect sense. To fix it would I need a bigger alternator? Or would that not fix the problem? Capacitor then?

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
capacitor would fix the lights dimming, not sure bout better alternator, my first choice would be a high quality battery, that should fix everything.

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Local audio shop should be able to help you out...

And the draw would be hardly noticeable to performance

With a db tester i have pulled a max of 143.1dbs car not running

It will put the volts down under 10

And if its that loud you shouldnt have it up while driving

My eyes go blurry when mines all the way up not so safe i would think

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
ok thanks VH commodore. Any suggestions as to what I should get? I have heard about OPTIMA batteries, but is that a bit of overkill for me? Also, they're kinda expensive ay.. So hopefully something not too expensive, but still good.

Thanks