Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

subwoofer box

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
As such, we see that when you invert the woofer all you are doing in essence is changing the orientation of the cone (which still moves in both directions) which wont effect the non directional frequencies produced by your subwoofer (and this is why we don’t invert our mids or tweeters)
mids can simply be inverted as long as the polarity is reversed to suit. I have seen it been done numerous times (especially in show cars). only difference is that the cone will be firing to the sides of the driver and not in a forward direction like normal. this could make or break quality in mids, but with ~100hz being non-directional it will be fine for subwoofers.

I am also not a professional in this field, just giving some input on my thoughts :)

scolari

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore sv6
azzfox from what ive read you dont need to reverse the polarity unless you are running another sub the normal way so that they are in sync

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
invert the sub, and then you have altered the phase (the cone is now travelling the opposite direction to what it was on any given stroke). In theory if your system was in (acoustic) phase to begin with you will need to reverse polarity to keep it that way. This applies to a single sub setup. if you have one inverted and one not, then they must be wired out of electrical phase with each other to maintain acoustic phase.

Edit: To clarify, the phase doesnt have to be altered as a matter of course (were i confused myself was that i assumed that anyone going inverted was switching from normal). As in my earlier post above, try both ways and see which way sounds better :)

Just because people can invert their mid woofers doesnt mean they should!. The directional nature of frequencies over 250 means that inverting becomes a bad idea.

Last edited:

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
is it true that with any type of install (inverted or not) you should try running subs out of phase to see which gives you the better results? for example which connection gives you the better sense that the bass coming from the front as opposed to obviously from the boot.

good posts from everyone, a lot of info getting thrown out

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
yeah i didn't know there was a problem till a mod came in....
who reported?

No one reported. Most don't notice but we spend quite a bit of time defusing situations before they become a bitch fight.
Easier than having to clean out a crappy thread.

Glad to see some pro's can cons rather than the same old boring 'back it up back it up' banter. To each their own.

Thanks Guys.