Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sunroof 2 button operation. Any logical reason why?

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
I love a sunroof and have had one in every car I have owned since the early 90's.

The VF Commodore however is the first and only one that has required 2 buttons to operate.

Every other one I have owned has had a single button for tilt/slide operation which made a lot of sense and was much easier to operate.

Does anyone know of any logical reason why these have a 2 button setup that I may have missed?

Maybe there is a simple way to wire both functions into a single switch?

First world problem, I know, but am I the only one that finds it annoying that I have to close the sunroof first using one button, and then use a different button to open it again if I want to switch modes?

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Not sure to be honest - my VZ has a small touchpad with open, close, 1,2 (for presets) and a C button for closing, so your doing better than me, though the buttons only need a quick press to do their thing so I don't complain.
My VE had the round dial which I liked; twist one way for tilt, the other way for slide and stab it after you turn the key off to stop it auto closing. Pity it rattled.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
All my past cars also have only ever had one button.
I can only imagine that it was cheaper to have two switches.
Why else would they do it like that?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Don't think you could re-wire it into one button... the buttons seem to work in conjunction with the CANBUS looking at the workshop manual...

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
Don't think you could re-wire it into one button... the buttons seem to work in conjunction with the CANBUS looking at the workshop manual...

I figured that might be a problem because of the auto-closing feature.

Oh, well. I guess I just have to get used to it.
(Although I could live without the auto-closing as I often leave the sunroof tilted to allow the car to "air" when it's in the garage and pressing the "Start" button with one hand while pressing a button on the roof with another is just awkward.)

It's a little annoying, but not worth spending a small fortune to resolve.

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
Ex-wife had a VZ Berlina and it had a staggering number of buttons. I'm sure someone was taking the piss. The radio had an on button AND an off button. Let that sink in for a moment...

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Ex-wife had a VZ Berlina and it had a staggering number of buttons. I'm sure someone was taking the piss. The radio had an on button AND an off button. Let that sink in for a moment...

Try the WL/WK Caprice or Statesman for button overload, out of control.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
The export Commodores to the US have the same buttons, but auto close is disabled, so presumably its a software setting. Maybe they wanted the same button arrangement for all markets and didn't want any button with markings or control positions beyond the most generic, so they could configure operation as needed for each market? Also with the upgrades to the wiring and CANBUS, maybe we just inherited the system from another GM product.

Do any of the Opels or Buicks etc, have the same button arrangement for sunroofs?

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Answered my own question. Looks like the Chevrolet Cruze has the same setup as the Commodore.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
to leave the sunroof open when you switch the car off, simply hit the tilt button within three seconds of turning off the engine. I do this with my VF2 SSVR, and I also own a VE SS and my sunroof switch also rattled, so I pulled the housing out of the roof lining (just put your fingers either side of it and pull) then I got a hot glue gun and glued the section that rattles! that fixed it, and it took like 5 mins to fix. hope this helps