Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super charger kits for 3.8 v6's

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
That's a fair enough rant.... Haha

I have only disconnected the sensor because it surges, and this happens just as bad with the blower off. So I'm not sure the blower is affecting this, but I stand to be corrected. If by disconnecting it, I am inducing it to run richer, then I guess that's a plus?

Castlemaine Electrics do a chip to suit this particular setup, but how good it is, I have no idea, I do know it's expensive though. I have full intentions of visiting Doctor Bob (if he's available) and get things checked out, then go from there. Seems to be pretty knowledgeable in this area. As I stated, I'm sure it needs remapping. The fuel pump and pressure reg is an area I can definitely look into.

I guess all these things can be debated from here to eternity.... But I'm certainly no expert and will always be relying on others experience and knowledge....

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I thought I'd just put down a few things that others should consider before buying such a kit.

Will be interested to see how yours goes with some decent mapping thou ;)

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
You should be able to pick up a super six engine with charger for about 3500$ anyway so if you get a car cheap enough thats another option

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Yeah, that's an option I was definatley considering too. I've never done a transplant with newer engines though, only old 202's and similar. I'm not considering taking it to a mechanic for something like that either :p

Sharpeidog, I'm very interested how you go with a remap as well, keep me informed too :D

PONTIAC GTO

Reaction score
Members Ride
GTO
Supercharger for ECOTEC V6 VS and VT

Was at the Summernats in Jan 05 and YELLA TERRA launched Terracharger for v6 for VS and VT ....looked neat, and claimed awesome 70% power increase ! Around high $5K's for straight bolt on kit....hopefully they have it on their webpage soon :air:

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
jetspin_vl said:
The CRS kit is actually a Toyota SC14 blower, designed for a 2L four cylinder engine. While the extra power would be there, I think overall the blower is a tad small for a 3.8
Could always get 2 SC14's

I

IBBO

sharpeidog i was wondering, how much did your charger set you back? was it hard to put in or what?

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange Gen3, VF Calais V Wagon, VY Calais L67
sharpeidog said:
G'day. I'm running the CRS kit on a Series 1 VN 3.8 and it seems o.k., but does have a couple of issues. Produces a fair bit of low down poke when it hits its straps, not a hell of a lot mid range, but winds out nicely and steadily pulls its way to over 190 (as fast as I've had it), and would agree with the claimed 30% overall increase in power.

I have done the same to my VR Statesman, and I agree with Sharpidog,
I had extractors, high flow cat and a 2 1/2 inch system, with a hotdog in the rear. I recon i might have to have my chip mapped and upgrade the fuel pump/rising regulator.

The installation took about 10 hours, as i also had to move my cruise control as well as the ignition modules.

The switch for the electric clutch is a damn good idea, as the blower makes a decent amount of noise, and when the roads are wet, things can get a bit hairy, but flick the switch off, and back to normal power.

Cheers.