Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged Calais Sports Exhaust

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
I'm getting them chopped tomorrow lol... easiest way for now.

I will keep that in mind for when I do it properly. Could I get some more info please? :)

Why would you chop out the mufflers, engine was designed to take into account the gas expansion at that point and various other points in the system.

You should replace factory with a straight thru like one at least like a Lukey Ultra Flow or similar and not just a straight pipe.

Some years ago 1999 I think Zoom Magazine did the great mufflers comparison on VR V6 3800 L series 2 with the 147kw engine.
They performed various combinations like:
1. No CAT
2. No centre muffler
3. No rear muffler
4. Various combinations with and without 1, 2 and 3 above.
5. The test were all done on the same vehicle and on the same dyno
6. The test were ramped up and down several times to reduce the scope for error and try to confirm the same curve overlay for each muffler

The outcome was:
a. engine lost power with No CAT, Centre Muffler and Rear Muffler
b. engine made most power when all 3 mufflers ie CAT centre and rear mufflers were retained
c. diagnosis was the heartbeat of the engine recognized the lost engine pulse when the mufflers were removed and was unable to compensate for it
d. removing the mufflers modified the effective pipe length and the time it took for the gases to hit atmosphere and this affected engine performance
e. solution was to find most freely flowing muffler that kept up gas velocity and keeping the mufflers in the OEM location which confirmed key points of the great exhaust write up on Street Commodores Forum by Aliens some years later

Rethink your strategy before you cut mufflers and the engine power of your vehicle.

Most likely you will stuff up your fuel economy as well.

I may not have explained it as well as it was written in the article but 90% of the jist of it is here as best as I can remember.

Last edited:

KB428

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII L67 Calais
I've sent 2INIL8 a PM but in case he misses this - my L67 VSII is currently with Gentech and Kit was explaining to me that in the early days they experimented with 6 or 7 different systems back to back on the super6. They had excellent results fitting the VS HSV exhaust (ie good flow, zero drone). Is it correct that an HSV VS Senator exhaust should bolt straight up to a VSII L67 Calais? And was the L67 factory exhaust actually more restrictive than the V8? (despite the 5.0 and 3.8S/C having almost identical power and torque outputs, especially taking into account marketing of the time)

KeepItStock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Executive V6
hey guys i have a simple question.

what is the bog stock factory standard exhaust diameter that a VR V6 live/solid axle Sedan Executive Commodore came with? Im looking to go back to stock.

Cheers

ejukated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais L67
I am sure that the VS S/C was a single, but stand corrected if it was a twin.

If that's the case then the twin V8 system will bolt straight up. I do that system for $820 shipped with the front mufflers and rear resonator.

Hey mate, is that the stainless twin 2.5" all the way throught to rear resinator? How does it sound compared to the HSV twin? Do you have any pics?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's mild steel, twin 2 1/2" all the way. It will be louder and deeper than the HSV system. No, I don't have any pics of it sorry.

ejukated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais L67
cool thanks for that, will keep it in mind when I get the motor back together again haha. What are your thoughts on HM heads vs Pacies on the VS v6's? I notice the HMs have really short primaries compared with pacies

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Honestly, on a V6, probably wouldn't even notice any difference.

The real difference is short primaries are better for top end, long primaries are better for bottom end. As long as they are the same size. So many different factors and variables in extractor design.

KeepItStock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Executive V6
hey guys i have a simple question.

what is the bog stock factory standard exhaust diameter that a VR V6 live/solid axle Sedan Executive Commodore came with? Im looking to go back to stock.

Cheers

Guys I would really like to know much appreciated.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
2 1/4" 10 char

KeepItStock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Executive V6
Anyone have a stock exhaust for a VR V6 solid axel in NSW? the humming making me crazy