Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharging ls1

sam8s

yellow devill
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss
hi, this has probably been asked before but cant find much info.

im seriously considering supercharging my vz ss 5.7L

motor is completly standard apart from defillipo system
ive seen the raptor and vortech supercharger kits that are in my price range and seem to have reasonable power outputs.

are these kits safe on a standard engine or will i be risking blowing parts?, obviously ill have to keep the pressure below 8psi.

ill be doing all the work my self, apart from tuning, this is why im thinking of the blown approach apposed to cam work as it seems alot easier
or would anyone recommend the extra work and do the internals instead?

also how do the 4 spd autos cope with the power?

thanks for any help.

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
hey mate, i only recently sold my ss ute, i chucked a vortech v2 on it myself, was a 6spd, the stock clutch could barely put up with the tuning so i orederd a Z grip an fit it few weeks after, that was making 331rw on 6lb, and loved every second of it, after doing that i honeslty souldnt go towards a side found (centrifugal again) i had one on my old VQ 304, but its more mid to top end and gets alittle boring, the torque it made was insane and pinned you to your seat, but it has nothing on my current WH statesman which has heads, cam, stally, diff gears, its consistently quicker... it doesnt feel it but it rips rings around it, it was my old mans statesman i bought it of him so we had plenty of runs together...

ont the risk sdie of things, an ls1 will take almost anytihng you chuck at it, they love 12lb....through a manual the auto wont put up with that for too long, but a rebuild will keek it going for along time, depends if your going to hit the drags or not, if i had my way again, id be going a pwr or harrop, they make mid to high 300's sound insane and are better drivabiliy, the power is from idle insted of higher, from logging mine it made positive pressure at 1800... so on the highway it cruised on 1500rpm and it sufficated the motor but once 2500 - 3000 hit it would just churn tires

also i didnt have a rev limiter set as the fuel cut could be dangerous but i spun it to 7000 - 7200 all day long, i also used to race it at wakefield without any hicups at all driving it there and back to canberra

sorry to bore the **** outta ya...had few beers

09052008041-1.jpg

25052008071-1.jpg

P.S I DO NOT RECCOMEND CAPA KITS TO ANYONE

sam8s

yellow devill
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss
aha not boring anyone, thanks for the info.

any idea on the price differences between say a harrop and the cappa kits?
are they much harder to fit?

anyone else had experience with cappa kits?

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Hey sam8s, i'm also after the exact same info for my vz ss. i'm definately getting a capa kit, but was leaning towards the 'Vortech 1' non intercooled kit (4.5psi - 6psi). it's good to hear the LS1's will handle the power safely, although mine is a manual so i'm worried about the clutch now...

i'm disapointed now though to hear the low down power even from the 'Vortech 2' is lacking!! i figured being a supercharger, it has the same power constantly from all ranges??? are the conventional v1/v2's a piece of piss to fit yourself?? also, do capa have a sydney store??

cheers, josh.

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Hey sam8s, i'm also after the exact same info for my vz ss. i'm definately getting a capa kit, but was leaning towards the 'Vortech 1' non intercooled kit (4.5psi - 6psi). it's good to hear the LS1's will handle the power safely, although mine is a manual so i'm worried about the clutch now...

i'm disapointed now though to hear the low down power even from the 'Vortech 2' is lacking!! i figured being a supercharger, it has the same power constantly from all ranges??? are the conventional v1/v2's a piece of piss to fit yourself?? also, do capa have a sydney store??

cheers, josh.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
All of the centrifugal blowers are more like a belt driven turbo than a positive displacement blower. For instant response you need a top mount.

sam8s

yellow devill
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss
ye ive herd the same thing about the low down power, but mine being an auto im gona have a high stall so will be abe to launch into the power a bit more.

i think i will still be going the supercharger, was thinking goin cam but then you risk having problems getting over the pits and its only gona get harder as time goes on.

ive been told they are relatively easy to fit your self, so if i get stickered i can just take it off, a hell of alot easier then taking a cam out.

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
harrop htv 1900 is (from what i read on harrop website) $10,995... that's a long way out of my price range..especially compared to the $4,995 capa kit.

Does anyone have a mate or know somebody with a V1 4.5psi non-intercooled kit on a 5.7L? for the low price, is it well worth buying one??

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
harrop htv 1900 is (from what i read on harrop website) $10,995... that's a long way out of my price range..especially compared to the $4,995 capa kit.

Does anyone have a mate or know somebody with a V1 4.5psi non-intercooled kit on a 5.7L? for the low price, is it well worth buying one??

for the price there not worth it
a cam will get you near the same power for half the price