Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension Knock after raising

bbpirate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS L98
Hi all,

Almost a year ago I bought a 2007 VE SS and it was way too low so I raised it back to standard height. Ever since i've had a knocking that is very audible inside and out front and back. If you hit smaller holes you can hear a "metal tinny knock" and also a deep knock when going over speed bumps. There is no knocking when turning. I have replaced sway bar links and strut mount bushes as I thought they may be the culprit. I've had it looked at many times and still nothing. It's also putting my alignment out every few months. Any ideas if it's the bushes from being lowered, if so which ones? Thanks a lot.

Nathan

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have you got the spring plates the right way and the nuts on correctly

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What parts did you replace when you raised it?

If you reused the old shocks get the part number off them and look up what they are. It could be that you had low shortened stroke shocks for low springs, and now that you've raised it they could be over extending, so when the shock absorber piston gets to the top of its stroke it's over extending because of the higher springs and is hitting the shock casing making that sound.

bbpirate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS L98
Hi,

Yes I' have had it looked over by two mechanics and both find nothing (one being tyre power). I only changed strut bearings, shocks and springs. With all those areas being covered I've been told it could be worn bushes from excess stress being put on all the bushes from lowering. But i find it hard to believe after the knock i hear, it is as if something is loose. I will have to go over it all again and pull everything apart and put it back together again, I was told tightening the top strut bolt once the car has been lowered is a good idea?
Thanks again for the replies.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Do the rear springs have the insulators on the coils?

bbpirate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS L98
Yes, insulators all around. Standard Height king springs, standard height KYB struts.

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Mine had a clock noise when braking in reverse and also slowly turning in a car park. This happened a week after I had pedders fit koni adjustables. I took it back and it was the front stabilizer that had to be tightened. They already tightened it but gave it a nip up and it fixed it

bbpirate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS L98
Yeah the stabiliser bar is where I have been meaning to go next, I was told the bushes could be worn but never thought that it may need a nip up! Thanks ill check it out

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Mine had a similar knock noise to what you are describing when it was at standard height.

Best I could isolate it to was the left rear spring. The way I was able to check this easiest was with the rear up on car ramps, then I had a 1m length of 50x50 RHS which I fitted in place of the towball tongue (hopefully this makes sense) and had someone bounce the car from the end of the RHS for leverage.

I found if I held the left rear coil the sound went away.

The isolators were in place, everything looked as it should. I replaced the springs with heavy duty springs for towing and the sound went away. I really found no issue with the way the original coils were installed, and all I replaced were coils. So all i can gather is that while everything looked normal, the spring just mustn’t have been seated properly.

I know it’s a hassle, but personally I’d remove the coils, 100% confirm everything looks in place, then refit.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I read about the issue below, which seems to be quite common with HSV VE E1. I haven't come across this issue yet, but if I do will look into this.

Quoted:
"Knock in suspension. The spring lifts off the strut bracket over small bumps. Rubber is fitted in between.
They put a 3-5mm gasket like piece of rubber between the spring and the strut bracket to stop them hitting together. Don't know how long that will last
rolleyes.png
"