Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspension. Ve

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
Dan, I drive through the Isa twice a year (Melbourne to Darwin), and I share your pain.
My Omega had FE2 (ex-Police car).
I was heartily sick of speed humps in Darwin, and if I had passengers, I'd scrape in my own driveway.
But the bigger issue was the Landsborough Highway - I love the trip; I love the places it takes me; but they build the undulations into it from new, I reckon.

Years ago, I had a ZL Fairlane with "Country pack" - that's 50mm lift - and that was a dream on the long trips, so I decided to explore the possibility of raising my Omega.
While I was on hols down south, I asked big Holden dealer in Melbourne: after some umming and aaahhhing, they said that they could retro-fit a factory "country pack" at a cost of $1,800, for a 20mm lift. The costs and the benefits just didn't add up, so I declined.

Anyway, I did a lot of research, and last year I bought myself a set of four new springs from King's, Queensland-made, that raised the Omega 30mm -
made all the difference in the world, and I'm very happy with the result. I've driven Darwin to Melbourne, and return, twice since then.
I shopped around for the best price: Repco were $800+; King's at Nerang were asking $600, I think freight was included in that; but a bloke in Melbourne only wanted $286, including postage to Darwin ... lady at the Post Office wasn't impressed, but ... That bloke was on ebay.
Mechanic here did the swap for me. Didn't change the shocks, and 33,000 km later, everything is still fine.

The car handles fine in all other respects.
And, here's an unexpected bonus - the extra height makes getting in & out of the car much easier for my decrepit old bones.

Forest gump

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve ss 6 lt auto
I’m looking for new suspension I have fe2 was thinking coil overs but have read there actually illegal in QLD ( can anyone confirm this )? If that’s the case I was thinking SL with shorten shock package as I want it slightly lower than fe2 but yet still legal 07 ve ss ,will the SL all round still be legal ? Thnx fg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If they are illegal in Qld, you should find reference to it in your States Dept transport documents. Have a read through them. Usually start at vehicle modifications and work through from there. Most states have the info laid out the same.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
QLD tried defecting engineered vehicles in the new Australia wide engineering standards program. They haven't tried it again likely due to a legal issue.
Via Australian standards if you keep suspension travel and bump stop distances right I think it's 1 third reduction it's owner certifiable, but this is nearly impossible with 99% of coilovers.
Pedders claim their coil overs are pre engineered but I'm not sure on the legal issues trying to claim this.
So it's near impossible to legally owner certify coilovers in Australia.