Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Aftermarket air intake

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
So to make it really easy.

The first one, which is an 'airhammer' style is ****.

It is **** because of the following reasons:
- Exposed pod filter is illegal
- Exposed pod filter near wheel arch creates likelihood for hydro locking which is water saturation on filter which prevents/hinders the car from breathing. (I had one and this actually did happen to me)
- Aluminium pipe conducts heat like crazy, when the pipe is cold you will gain more power. After your engine heats up this heat will convect and conduct into the aluminium piping, heating your intake charge and potentially causing you to produce less power than factory. (this is not proven but makes sense)
- They rarely fit properly, and you do not want aluminium shavings flying through your intake manifold as the mouth of the pipe rubs on the TB.

The OTR is your best option as it does not suffer from any of the above problems and also flow better. You will need to make sure the one you purchase is compatible with your MAF. The car may be adversely impacted for the first few hundred k's as the computer adjusts to the altered air flow. Getting an OTR and a tune at the same time is a logical choice.

Good luck!

Hey Christov
thanks for the input.

I already clicked "buy it now" before you put your post up lol

I think Laws in QLD are different, pod filter is legal here, as long as it is secured. (had one of them defect cops go all over a previous car (skyline))
I had a POD on my skyline, direct to the turbo, and in basically the same position as it will be with the pod above. I haven't heard of hydrolocking, but I did drive that car in rain so heavy, it was hydroplaning on the highway, not fun, and never had an issue with water in the intake. I will check this out tho, see if I can block water from coming up from the wheels.

I agree with you about the aluminium, I can't see how it wont suffer from a bit of heat soak on a hot day, when the engine bay is really hot. I plan to wrap it with the same exhaust heat wrap that Danthuyer has used, as that might help a little.

I think OTR is easily the better option, but it is expensive. if they were $300 I would buy one, no question. But I spoke to a couple of performance shops around here, and they all said the OTR would not provide any advantage over the pod until I was doing 150kph or faster... which doesn't help me on a day to day basis

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Those mechanics have no idea what they are talking about.

I changed from one of those crappy pod filter setups to an OTR setup and it made a world of difference. Specially with downlow torque and fuel economy.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hey Christov
thanks for the input.

I already clicked "buy it now" before you put your post up lol

I think Laws in QLD are different, pod filter is legal here, as long as it is secured. (had one of them defect cops go all over a previous car (skyline))
I had a POD on my skyline, direct to the turbo, and in basically the same position as it will be with the pod above. I haven't heard of hydrolocking, but I did drive that car in rain so heavy, it was hydroplaning on the highway, not fun, and never had an issue with water in the intake. I will check this out tho, see if I can block water from coming up from the wheels.

I agree with you about the aluminium, I can't see how it wont suffer from a bit of heat soak on a hot day, when the engine bay is really hot. I plan to wrap it with the same exhaust heat wrap that Danthuyer has used, as that might help a little.

I think OTR is easily the better option, but it is expensive. if they were $300 I would buy one, no question. But I spoke to a couple of performance shops around here, and they all said the OTR would not provide any advantage over the pod until I was doing 150kph or faster... which doesn't help me on a day to day basis

No prob, but seriously they are so ****. If you manage to completely close off the surround to prevent any water coming in (which I don't think you will be able to do once you look at it) you will find you are just sucking in even more heated engine bay air.

I know you've just bought the thing, but you may as well sell it or return and get an OTR. If your mainly interested in the intake noise and not the small power gain with an OTR over a pod filter then get an SS Inductions Growler side mount, Rotofab side mount or Walkinshaw side mount intake. They will not only perform better once the engine bay reaches running temp, but will also still sound nice and not have the previously mentioned issues with this absolute garbage that comes from eBay. But on the downside they cost as much or almost as much as a VCM OTR intake.

Those mechanics have no idea what they are talking about.

I changed from one of those crappy pod filter setups to an OTR setup and it made a world of difference. Specially with downlow torque and fuel economy.

Was your car tuned when you fitted the OTR intake? If not then the gains you will see from an OTR to an exposed pod particularly 'down low' will be imperceptible, especially on an SV6. I agree with your comments regarding fuel economy improvement, the relatively significant decrease in IATs will decrease fuel usage.

hlucin8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
I have an Orssom otr on the way to me at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes

Zanati

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SV6 Series 2
Can someone please tell my why you need to remap the ECU when purchasing the OTR CAI? I understand how you can increase power from an ECU tune, however if on the budget.... why do you need a remap? Will the OTR CAI ruin your engine or flood it or something?

Talidorian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vf II SV6 Black Edition
Can someone please tell my why you need to remap the ECU when purchasing the OTR CAI? I understand how you can increase power from an ECU tune, however if on the budget.... why do you need a remap? Will the OTR CAI ruin your engine or flood it or something?
'

From experience, you don't need a re-tune, when the error light comes on, just disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, that'll reset the error, then after a few hundred Km, the computer will have adjusted for the increased air flow and lower temps.

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
Will only need a retune on SIDI V6`s.
Earlier Alloytecs get away without one, however I would still recommend one!
If anyone is interested in a Cold Air Intake or tuning let us know, we occasionally have awesome specials ;)

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Will only need a retune on SIDI V6`s.
Earlier Alloytecs get away without one, however I would still recommend one!
If anyone is interested in a Cold Air Intake or tuning let us know, we occasionally have awesome specials ;)

I'm interested in a CAI and tune, but I'm in Adelaide - not sure if there's any tuners you can recommend over here - MY17 Calais V here with the LFX engine.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
- Aluminium pipe conducts heat like crazy, when the pipe is cold you will gain more power. After your engine heats up this heat will convect and conduct into the aluminium piping, heating your intake charge and potentially causing you to produce less power than factory. (this is not proven but makes sense)

I’d always go ‘Over The Radiator’ if finances didn’t play a part but in saying that back in 2006 when the VE was first released there were no CAI of any type on the market so I was forced to have a pipe made up to facilitate the two hole method in the airbox so as I could extract more power from the cam swap I was having done.

The cam without having to look up the complete specs was around 230 with approx. 618 lift.

The photo below is of the finished product.

Its hard to see but I also retained the MAF connection.

I would drive this car from Sydney to my parents home in the far north west of NSW a few times a year including Christmas and the aluminum pipe never suffered heat soak.

When I’d pull up it was always cool to touch and that is because the vehicle is in motion collecting cool fresh air or as cool as is possible from an environment that it known for its high 30 to 40 degree heat in summer.

When an over the radiator became available I had it swapped out and did not make any noticeable gains on the dyno (which doesn't mean there may not have been some minor gains in real world driving but not enough to mean much) so I then made the decision to put the pipe back and fit the new OTR to my Calais instead.

It goes without saying these cars were tuned to suit as well.

So as far as I’m concerned if you want to go cheap, find a pipe that’ll connect into your OEM airbox, retain the paper filter, perform the two hole mod, have it tuned or have the light switched off.

Last edited: