Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Have you had it independently assessed by an expert and been given a report on their findings?

I work in the automotive aftermarket and their response seems fair enough based on the images alone. The clutch would need to be properly assessed to determine if it was an issue with the product, as it seems to be fitter error at this stage.

VEZ LFX V6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series SV6 ute
How is it fitter error why parts have been fitted measured and torque as per exedy specs provided?
I fitted it as I'm a Heavy Desiel fitter and do this for a living and if it was fitted incorrectly it wouldn't have lasted this long if it had oil/grease of friction plate because I would have pulled it out if it slipped at all, and if it had loss bolts it would have let go along time ago, no I have not had it looked at but anyone else, over wasting money now I'll buy a momsterclutch from the states was putting it up so if anyone else was thinking exedy and modified don't think exedy go else were.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
I understand what you're saying, and i'm not saying that you're wrong and that it wasn't a product failure, however it is important to prove that a product failed before slandering them online.

Unfortunately the Automotive industry is one where the blame is constantly being shifted (just ask any mechanic if they've ever made a mistake - they'll tell you that EVERY issue that they've ever had with a customers vehicle was due to a dodgy product), this is why manufacturers are reluctant with warranties as they will need to be sure that it was genuinely a product failure before handing out cash.

As I said earlier, I work in the automotive aftermarket and see warranty claims all the time where 90% of the time it is proved beyond a doubt that failure was due to fitter error, despite the mechanic believing that they know everything and did everything right.

An example of this is when fitting new radiators - A radiator may fail so they are tasked with replacing it, only for the new radiator to fail shortly after, which the mechanic will claim as product failure. It generally turns out that they didn't flush the heater circuit or there is stray current that they didn't even check for and was part of the cause of the customers original failure. Had they gone through the proper testing and flushing processes there would have been no issue, which is why it is fitter error.

The cost to prove that it was a product failure shouldn't be an issue, as that is what will allow you to recoup the far larger costs associated with the failed product. You might need to spend an additional $100 for testing, but once that's done you can recoup the cost of the clutch AND testing, as well as possibly the other costs that you incurred.

If you are positive that it is a product error rather than fitter error, then it should be a no-brainer to take it further and get a large portion of your money back rather than copping it on the chin. I'd even send the clutch assembly back to Exedy (which will cost f-all) for their assessment, rather than doing nothing.

VEZ LFX V6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series SV6 ute
and I know what you are saying as well, that's why I work on my own car and always have a procedure from the Manufacturer them self including toque spec and sequence, I don't think the pressure plate bolts were a hi enough grade and had to low of a torque spec, and the pressure plate straps were to weak for what exedy says that the clutch can be used for.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Then that seems like an ACCC issue, given that the product was not of reasonable quality

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's why I asked about balance and if there was any noticeable vibration since install. Dead giveaway really.

VEZ LFX V6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series SV6 ute
I might look into it and get it looked at, but that's not the first exedy that's failed my dad had one in he's 4wd drive and done 40,000km and feel apart InTown, but on another note Mantic make a killer kit SMF twin plate ceramic 9000 series with sprung centre

H

harrop.senator

I've never had an issue with exedy ones myself. And the bolts are definitely not high torque its usually only around 30nm for pressure plate bolts. Got a ceramic exedy in a car that see's 9k and not had the issue. Is a very extreme let go with whats happened and definitely looks like the pressure plates walked. Whats made it walk I'm unsure of though. With how many bolts are on a cover plate and how close they are and the fact theyre doweled they shouldn't really need a stupid amount of torque or 12.9 bolts in my opinion..

Hopefully the new clutch box flywheel set up lasts a little bit longer!

VEZ LFX V6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series SV6 ute
Yes I know that the mantic clutch I just put in its pressure plate cover was only like 33 NM but I am getting someone to look at it soon as I'm still not happy with them, if I ever spun that exedy to even 8K let alone 9K I reckon it would have turned its self inside out maybe even ended up in the car with me

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
When visually looking at the clutch before/after the failure is there a visible quality issue?

Eg. does the construction look sub-par, alignment issues, free-play etc.?

Also, are there any other apparent quality issues since it failed, such as cracks or discolouration?