Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Radiator Drain tap siezed

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hi, I have the need to drain my radiator using the drain tap on the bottom tank.
Mine is "stuck" fast. I presume it is a right hand thread, is that correct?
I have used fingers and also tried the flat jaws of a shifting spanner to no avail. I dont want to break the thin plastic "wing" that serves as the tap's operating lever. Is it a half turn tap or does the centre unscrew completely?
Hope you can assist. Thanks in advance.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I have a aftermarket radiator and the tap on the bottom just turns and releases the coolant it doesn't unscrew completely like the top bleed screw ... Why do you need to remove it for ? If your gonna drain it why not just drop the bottom hose ?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a aftermarket radiator and the tap on the bottom just turns and releases the coolant it doesn't unscrew completely like the top bleed screw ... Why do you need to remove it for ? If your gonna drain it why not just drop the bottom hose ?

Hi Deepo & Impulsive,
Thanks for your replies. I have just replaced my thermostat and housing, undone all of the various electrical bits and bobs, fitted a new radiator hose to the top of block to radiator. Went to remove the top hose to get ready for the new inhibitor/water mix it and it had gripped on so tightly I had the devils job to get it off again.
I planned to replace the lower hose, however given the difficulty removing new hoses, I felt that I would use the drain tap to save loosing the new inhibiter mix.
The tap, does it turn clockwise or anticlockwise to get the fluid out?

Whist doing this post, had the engine running, went first start and ran well. Turned it off to check for leaks, restarted it and now have the Check Power Train, reduced performance message on the dash. bugger.

In doing the thermostat & housing I disconnected the o2 senso on the No1 cylinder bank, the various electronics associated with the plenum, the fuel injection main cable, the fuel injectors on the No1 cylinder bank. New plenum/manifold gasket - torqued down OK. This is where knowledge is very useful. The car manuals are not a great help when things get faulty.

Intrigued why it ran OK when cold, possible heating problem? (Before installing, I tested the new thermostat- opened about 80c and closed when cooled down).

I have disconnected the battery in the vain hope the computer got itself in a knot. Will try again when cold.

Looks like I will be going to the dealer for a tech2 checkup?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Tap should undo anti clockwise, but u did the right thing by not breaking it as that would mean new radiator if it did more damage. Make sure all connections are plugged in like the maf and what not

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
check your throttle body connection.. generally as obvious as it is, people always miss it, or your maf connection aswell..

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
check your throttle body connection.. generally as obvious as it is, people always miss it, or your maf connection aswell..

Hello richardpalinkas & impulsive and all who have assited this post,

Tracked down the problem. The throttle body connector, eventhough it appeared to be fully engaged and the locking tab secured, I had managed to get the locking tab in place but the connector was not fully engaged.

Many thanks for your help.

I have moved on, and not tried to free-up the drain tap. Will loose a bit of fluid through the lower hose with any future radiator activities.

Went to an excellent local mechanic and had all of the vehicle codes etc reset to give me a clean slate. Next project is the spark plugs after I have recovered from this lot, and it gets a bit cooler.

Thanks again.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
That's what the forums are for. And spark plugs are easy as. You will need a 13mm, 10mm and 5/8 socket as well as a razor blade to clean off the old gasket.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
That's what the forums are for. And spark plugs are easy as. You will need a 13mm, 10mm and 5/8 socket as well as a razor blade to clean off the old gasket.

Do they still sell the non metal gaskets ? I have manifold insulators so I have 2 sets of gaskets and have never had to remove any crap off when iv taken the plenum/top of manifold off ..