Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sv6 wont start

richie401

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SS 6LT
this is gonna sound pritty wtf but my friends sv6 would not start unless all doors where unlocked ,i know it sounds f'ed but maybe it could be the same issue in some f'ed up way lol

kubsnazx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon '06
God damn gremlins "Hwatchaaaaahhh"

gero_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Auto
thanks for the posts every one just try to start the car a few minute ago and it starts and run fine. i havent done any thing to it in days. going the the local holden dealer on tursday to check for codes and software updates

mr031

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
how did you go with this problem mate? get it sorted? have a vz doing the same, has good fuel pressure, spark and just cranks over, i sandblasted the plugs clean refitted them and it started fine, next day, issues again

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Prob a faulty ecu. Very common on the vz if it displays the fuel gauge error

vn50L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt seriesII XU6
Nice to know i'm not the only one having this problem. Sucks that no-one knows how to solve it. I have an SV6 in the driveway right now, half a tank of fuel (just put another 10 litres in it), hasn't been started last 2 days, go to start it today and it cranks, but will not ignite. Plugs are less than 2000k's old. Since we are poor, we do tend to spend a lot of time with a near on empty fuel tank which might have stuffed the pump and so probably our own fault. Just hope i don't end up towing it to the F@#$ing mechanic.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pete.

vn50L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt seriesII XU6
Just an update. Turned out it was flooded?!?! I've owned a lot of piece of shut cars in my time and never had one "flood". Didn't even consider it as an option til my old man mentioned it. Pulled the fuel pump fuse, foot to the floor an cranke it over 10 or so times to flush out all the unburnt fuel/vapours stuck the fuse back and and started first turn. Been fine ever since. Bizarre.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
There is a problem that can occur with the Alloytecs (and perhaps even other models) when after starting the engine (from cold) and turning it off within a short time - say less than a minute (could be more or less) it won't restart.

This problem can be caused because the engine is 'flooded'.

Apparently what happens is that when the engine was started (from cold) the computer(s) set fuel mixture to rich and because the system hadn't stabilised (i.e. had only run for a minute - more or less) the fuel mixture wasn't reset. If this is your problem (consistent with previous symptons) then you need to disconect the battery long enough ( perhaps 5 - 10 minutes) to enable the settings in 'memory' to be 'dis-charged' i.e. the instructions held in memory are removed.
After an appropriate period of time, re-connect the battery and try starting again. You may need to ensure that your battery has plenty of charge. Sometimes it will assist starting (with these symptons) to hold throttle open (accelerator to floor) to get plenty of air into the engine. Be aware though that when/if the engine starts that you quickly remove foot from accelerator to avoid over-reving. My experience has been that the engine will cough and splutter a quite bit before actually starting. It may take quite a few attempts - so don't overdo the 'foot on accelerator' bit and force more fuel into the engine than is needed. Once started you may see quite a lot of black smoke from exhaust. Don't worry, this is normal after such problem. Let engine idle (this time) long enough for the revs to drop (to normal idle - around 600 rpm) and the computer(s) to adjust fuel settings so that problem doesn't re-occur. This problem is more likely to occur when ambient air temperature is very low - i.e. typically cold winter's day/night.

vn50L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt seriesII XU6
Yeah mate that's word for word how it went. Nice to know it wasn't a symptom of a more sinister problem. Cheers for your feedback mate. Appreciate it.

2Com

$$$ talks Bullshit walks
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
My SV6 started then just turned off and wouldn't start. I swapped the relay and now starts. The relays are located between the battery and drivers side strut tower.