Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SVZ and tyres - help very much appreciated

silverseahorse

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2006 SVZ
Hello all. Short time lurker and first time poster.

I have a 2006 SVZ with only 34000km on the clock. I'm the second owner and it was previously a fleet car. The front tyres are new and the back are worn. I assume they are the original back tyres and the front have been replaced. They are not tragic but last night when driving I slipped in the wet twice. First time was just one of those moments where the car slips and less than a second later regrips the road. No big deal. Second time I slipped I was turning right into a side street. It was raining but not very heavily. The road was wet but it was hardly covered in sheets of water. Instead of turning say 90 degrees, the back end slid out and I must have been facing about 130 degrees so pointing back past the corner. I tried to correct and realised I was screwed if it regripped. I turned the wheel back and let it regrip and pick a direction for me. Once it did regrip, I made it around without too many dramas. It did freak me out as I must have been doing under 15km/hr and I was taking off pretty sedately and definitely NOT trying to spin the back end out.

So I need new tyres I'm guessing. I'm looking for some recommendations as I am a big freeway driver and I certainly don't want to lose it like this over 110km/hr. I need tyres that perform in the dry and most definitely in the wet!!!

So is this common for the VZ series to slip out like this? Or is it simply my tyres are that bad? They are hardly bald but worn. They do have tread left. That said, I looked at the tread pattern last night and it doesn't seem that fantastic for wet weather - the front definitely have a much better pattern for flicking water away.

Thanks all :)

Terri

mdmatt

mdmatt
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 LS1 Auto VZ SSZ 328.6rwhp
buy some 17 or 18" wheels, and run some bridgestone RE050's on it...

the standard tyres are too thin and are crap.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
and single spinner diffs suck in any back end step out situation..pushes the car all one way. I recently put on some federal 595 tyres and i can't fault them..i "tried" to spin them out my drive in the rain the other day and they sliped for maybe a second and then drove off normally.

silverseahorse

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2006 SVZ
My wheels are 17 inch.

Is there one compound that is better than another? I assume I'm looking for something with an aggressive tread pattern for water dispersion?

What are people's thoughts on Pirelli P Zero Nero 235/45R17?

Last edited:

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
There are alot of good tyres and everyone has there own preference. Basically any decent brand name tyre should be decent. I know certain tyres are much better in the wet but you would have to talk to a tyre place that knows there stuff to get some good info.

silverseahorse

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2006 SVZ
Yeah well I got my SVZ in Jan after having my old car written off 3 days after Christmas when a guy t-boned me at 80km/hr. Ever since then I have been sorta funny about safety especially since I got injured although I've recovered now. I've definitely had my confidence rattled. I'm willing to spend the $ and not cut corners. I had pirelli's on my old car and they stood up to the direct impact in the passenger side at the back and being spun around and around in the intersection. The body crumpled, the steering was snapped, the frame bent, the windows all shattered, the dash cracked and instruments all broke, all airbags deployed - tyres were intact including the one that took the direct impact.

Sorry to waffle ;)

I have been looking online and through a bunch of previous posts and it is hard to find the SVZ. It seems like a combo of the VZ Calais, SS and Berlina when it comes to parts. Fricking annoying!

silverseahorse

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2006 SVZ
There are alot of good tyres and everyone has there own preference. Basically any decent brand name tyre should be decent. I know certain tyres are much better in the wet but you would have to talk to a tyre place that knows there stuff to get some good info.

I talked to JAX at Castle Hill today and they were really helpful to me. I must say I was impressed they treated me like I had a brain despite my obvious handicap of being a girl :boxing:

I still have memories of the guy in supercheap explaining how car wax worked to me (despite me saying I didn't need help). I'm a chemist so I made some comment about hydrophilic and hydrophobic molecule ends and broke his brain. :banstick:

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
I stayed with the original Bridgestone tyres.

Stuck a set of Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin's on my VZ Calais. As per the tyre placard I fitted 225/50R17's.

Handles well. Comfortable ride. Good wearing & when my speedo says 100km/h my GPS says the same thing.

But at the end of the day it's up to you.