Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Symptoms of blown intake gasket?

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Just did mine on the V8 as a preventative measure while I was doing the dizzy etc so everything is nice and new where it's hard to get. Wasn't that bad, car is all back and running sweet as plus I got to clean everything while I was in there. The front and rear seals on the intake were leaking a little on mine to so I washed and degreased everything while in there, went nuts. Feel so much better now and rather than oil full of dirt and hair on everything it's all bright alloy and painted thingos, I love doing stuff like this :)

I'd assume the V6 is similar, I think I did one yonks ago and a couple beers and some patience will see you through. Fix anything little you find along the way cause with the intake and everything off repairing cracked wiring and busted plugs etc is super easy.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Pub247, you dont have to be a #### about it, i didnt quite get it either untill you so rudely pointed it out.

im actually have the same sort of stuff with my vp, i will be doing it myself for sure. seems like a pretty straight foward

mine is low on power,
it overheats way more than most cars should, ive changed the thermostat 4 times, each from diffrent shops too.
uses alot of water and has been for some time now
miss fires pretty bad, i changed, plugs, leads harmonic balancer and its still doing it, really giving me the shits.
also ive noticed the coolant loosing its colour wich is strange.

They're my symptoms as well.. exactly actually..

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Pub247, you dont have to be a #### about it, i didnt quite get it either untill you so rudely pointed it out.

im actually have the same sort of stuff with my vp, i will be doing it myself for sure. seems like a pretty straight foward

Lol have a teary about it. I like to give VKcommo **** cause he's an annoying smartarse.

I'm one of the most helpful people on this forum and have provided help in this thread. Ultra copper is one of the most widely used aftermarket sealants in automotive industry its common knowledge bit like VKC being annoying :p

oh and you couldnt dumb down those instructions anymore than that

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
How am I being an annoying smartarse.. Im asking for a bit of help on a car help forum and you're laying **** on me..

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
okay so it seems i have got in the way of an on going thing haha.

i never knew about the ultra copper being a sealant though, i dont study the packaging lol

i agree they were pretty straight foward, it seems like a simple job to do.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Mines going in tomorrow for gasket replacement they reckon 5-6 hours labour, total cost between $350-$400ish not too bad I've prolly used double that in excess fuel just this year. Another good thing is i get a receipt that I can add to my pile of receipts when I sell her.

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
5 - 6 hours???? 3 hours max and that would be taking it easy and drinking a 6 pack. It is a pretty easy job, man I must be in the wrong trade.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, When I did an ecotec one at a place I did work placement, it took about 2-3 hours max, and that was doing other stuff inbetween..

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
well thats the estimate i got over the phone so hopefully thats worst case scenario and it should be 3-4 hours max. They are not a big chain franchise mechanic they are a small family owned business that specializes in rotaries but they are still the best in my area lol all the work they have done for me previously has been spot on and good value. Wish I was more handy with tools and stuff but I'm not lol.