Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 gear box in a vx

dannyboy4132

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I have a getrag gear box in my vx commodore. But it time ditch it for a t5. What i wanna know is what do i need to make the swap. I got the gearbox but thats all i have. Im worried about the pedal box coz the t5 uses a cable clutch but the one i have in there now is hydrolic. Any ideas? Any help would be better then no help thanks.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Other things to consider are:

Gear stick position (should be right as i think the T56 is the same length).
Tailshaft- what front section will work, custom ect.
As you said, the t5 is a cable setup- mal wood automotive probably does a conversion kit.
Clutch- will the T5 spline fit the pressure plate.
Speedo sensor- Will it plug and play and give the correct reading.

Just a few more things to look into.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
VX ECU won't work with T5 hall effect VSS. Never had the componentry installed onto PCB from factory. The flywheel's are different(dual mass vs solid). T5 is longer.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
As already stated, there is alot involved as the VT/VX shape never used a T5 gearbox from factory.

see my reply in this thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...1997-2002/175917-vn-5-speed-into-1997-vt.html

But essentially - it will bolt up to the motor ok, you need a VS T5 flywheel and starter motor, however the rear crossmember, tailshaft, pedal box, shifter surround and bottom bellhousing braces will all need to be modified or fabricated to fit.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
rocket industries has a "mcleod" hydraulic throwout bearing, you can utilise that to operate your clutch instead of converting to cable.

dannyboy4132

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Thanks guys. Looks like alot of things to look into. Probly make my own gearbox mount. Find a vn or vs tail shaft to suit the t5 and shortin it so it will fit. "hopefully". I have an auto ecu that i got flashed to run my getrag dont see why it wouldnt work since the speedo is the main thing i guess. Loop a couple of wires to get the car started. And customise the clutch pedal so that it pulls the cable clutch enough to disangage the clutch. Hope all is well. But when i finally finish ill write a full write up about my gearbox swap. To help other dum arses like me who do not have a clue lol. Buy yeah keep those advice comming guys.