Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 or T56 conversion questions

Semper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 5.0
Hey guys, another manual conversion thread lol. Im planing on changing my vs s2 5l to manual and have a few questions. Iv already been quoted full conversion kits by Mal Wood Automotive, T5 $4k, T56 $7.3k, both with everything. I really want the 6 speed but dont kno if i want to spend that much, so anyway, heres the questions. Any and all help would be great!!

What are some places in melb that can help with or supply full conversion kits?

Sourcing a tail shaft, do T5 and T56 use the same tail shaft, incase i decide to go T56 after i get T5 anyway?

What are the best diff ratios to go for, i want quick take off so 3.7's with T5? No idea with T56.

Thats all i can think of at the moment... lol

:)

scrabet

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
hey you can pick up a conversion heaps cheaper then that i got mine for 1100 and it has every think needed have a look on ebay

also i rang a holden wreckers and they said i could get it for around 2400 also try kumbak i think that what their called

scrabet

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
ah sorry missed the part about it being a 5lt

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
diff ratio really depends on the ratio's in what ever trans you get. with a T5 probably a 3.45:1 or 3.73:1 but with the T56 you really either want 3.91:1 or 4.11:1

if oyu got the cash i'd suggest the 6speed with 3.91:1 diff. that way you get a decent take off but still cruise at about 1800rpm@110km/h in 6th gear, fit 4.11:1 gears and you get a quicker take off still but with a cruise of 1850rpm@110km/h in 6th gear, all round a much better package then a 5speed conversion. performance and economy:thumbsup:

if oyu do a bit of looking around you can probably find all the bits you need a bit cheaper although, getting the complete package from amlwood with warranty would give piece of mind

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey guys, another manual conversion thread lol. Im planing on changing my vs s2 5l to manual and have a few questions. Iv already been quoted full conversion kits by Mal Wood Automotive, T5 $4k, T56 $7.3k, both with everything. I really want the 6 speed but dont kno if i want to spend that much, so anyway, heres the questions. Any and all help would be great!!

I have done a T5 conversion a couple of times now. $4.5k is *way* expensive - I would hope they are all new parts.

Really it shouldn't cost more than $2k with a reco box and new clutch. Labour would be on top of that. I can't see a T56 being more than $3 - 3.5k.

Reaper

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
In 9 months im gonna be seeing mal wood about the T56 and 3:91 diff ratio,although its gonna cost me a pretty penny,try hunting down full 6 speed convertion kits elsewhere,if i could find some else cheaper,sure i'd suss them out

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
My kit wasn't that much, although my car was already manual.

When i first converted it, it cost me $2000 including everything i need, and a mate putting it in.

I can vouch for Mal Woods T56, you get what you pay for. I spent about 7000 on T5s and clutches over the years, when i could've just went with the T56 first time, and saved ****loads of time (and time off the road)

Immortality has the ratios down! Thinking of changing mine to 4.11s (currently have 3.73s)

Semper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 5.0
So you changed over to manual, then went the 6 speed later on, or the car was T5'd from day one?

Anyway, I ran 'Holdent' (found them on tradingpost.com) today in Clayton and they qouted me $3k for every thing i need for a 5 speed conversion, including tailshaft and even a standard grey manual centre console which would do for now, all second hand parts. But i still really want 6speed.

I seen on ebay today a 6 speed out of a vs senator, was at 900 bucks with 24 hours to go. That would be a really good pickup i think, and if i got stuck for parts in melbourne theres always Mal wood!

Also i got qouted on 3.45's from Preston Auto's and diff, and when i asked about 3.7's the guy wasnt too impressed lol, he said he would be very dissapointed if he sold them to me coz he thought they are just ****ty gears... any thoughts on that lol :D

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi