Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T700 weak?

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Hey

Just thought I'd have a ramble.. the VN's transmission died back in august, so i got a changeover one which was in GOOD condition. Now, the exact same problem has come up as with the first one.. its delayed when going into reverse from anywhere (Park of either Drives) and when its cold it doesnt change the best.. its USUALLY alright when its warm... once it slipped into neutral..

Are T700's really that weak? Or am I just pushing it too hard? :p

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
From what ive been TOLD, they are a quite strong box, but I too have my doubts. I had been through 2 in the VN and the GTS had its loose 3rd gear. I have had the GTS one rebuilt with a heavy duty drive shell and other parts, its really holding its ground now though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
there pretty good transmissions, it's just the way GM designed em to give a nice long smooth shift, it's actaully bad for the box because when things slip(during the shift) they wear out. better off getting your box reco'd with some decent parts and get a shift kit and corvette servo and it will live a long happy life. also a regular service won't hurt it either. another good addition is a decent transcooler. the factory one is pretty average

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
there pretty good transmissions, it's just the way GM designed em to give a nice long smooth shift, it's actaully bad for the box because when things slip(during the shift) they wear out. better off getting your box reco'd with some decent parts and get a shift kit and corvette servo and it will live a long happy life. also a regular service won't hurt it either. another good addition is a decent transcooler. the factory one is pretty average

Yeah, I was considering that until I lost my job.. and it has been serviced.. next service is due in 10,000km... its just losing power again..

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
there a pretty strong box, just not the smoothest i recon...
like immortality said, have it reconditioned with a shift kit n corvette servos n it will be much better... i plan on doing that very soon...

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
the t700 is standard in the vp v6's am i correct? i think they are dam tough ive givin mine a hiding and found out the previous owner flogged it as well for 6 year's not a problem im going to get it rebuilt when i get a stage 2 shift kit and vette servo tho

hemi01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 V6 Berlina
That set of symptoms seems quite common throughout past posts. Mine does it as well.

Has anyone been able to fix the slow engagement of 1st/reverse in their box without going to a full rebuild?

Might it be low fluid pressure, blocked oilways, easily blocked filter or degraded trans fluid?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
worn clutch packs and low pump pressure combined cause slow engagement into 1st/reverse.

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Yeah, ive been told the pump is responsible... last time i just changed it... but this time i cant even do that.. might try replacing the pump..

PREDATR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355 Turbo, VN Calais 5L, VE SII SV6 Wag, Mirage
they are weak i have killed 2x T700s in my VN and i drive it hard but not stupid and i do look after it

they are only strong if u spend the money to strengthen them in stock form they are a waste of space.