Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tacho Dash

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
If you look at the dash cluster and compare the opening where the clock is it might be a different size. If you have the small clock face (square one) and the fascia you put back on the front of the dash cluster has a wide opening for the clock, you will have holes either side of the clock face. At night these will show the inside of the cluster all lit up when all you want is to see the speedo and tacho and gauges. Just swap the speedo from your current dash into the Berlina dash. From memory it's just two screws hold the speedo in place after you get the fascia and clear plastic cover off the front of the cluster. If your lucky enough to still have one, there's a small black plastic peg in the middle the just sits there over the clock to adjust it. It will fall out coz there's nothin holdin it. If the clock is not working it will cost about $80 to get it fixed at an Instrument repairer, unless you can find one that works in a donor vehicle. That's if you need to know the time and don't have a watch and the car radio doesn't have a clock either.

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
how did you go wiring it up?

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
In a VK the tacho wire from the coil is in the round shaped connector for the dash cluster. It all just plugs together and works. The Berlina dash has the extra connecting pin that allows the tacho to get it's signal. The L & SL model dash circuit boards do not have the pin for the tacho. If you look at the face of the connector (round one, side with the holes, not the side with all the wires.) at about 4.00 o'clock (like on a clock face) there should be a tan coloured wire coming out the back of the connector (consult a Wiring diagram for certainty of colour and function of wire) if you track this back I believe this is the signal wire from the coil. My VK/SL had the wire but did not have the connection on the dash circuit board. So I used a Berlina circuit board which did have all the connections. Now I have a Tacho instead of that Econo thingy. Make sure u seel the vaccuum pipe in the dash (plug it with a finely threaded bolt) or work out which connector on the manifold (vaccuum tree) it comes from and blank of that branch of the tree and you can then take the hose right out of the car.