Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail Light Tinting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
If I do though, in fact receive or find such evidence identifying that they are illegal, I will remove the tail lights and retract my comments made.

have i given you enough facts yet? or do i need to hold your hand and explain the entire ADR 13/00? its a big ADR, but for the benefit for motorists all over aus, im willing to do it.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Tail light performance meaning parkers on, tested at night time (because what idiot drives around with his headlights on in the daytime, we aren't in the Scandinavia area). The brake tail light globe must be visible at 200m.

Brake stop, reverse and indicator globes must be visible day and night time at 30m.

All my tail light globes are 50 LED.

My window tint is 20%.

I gave my tail lights 3 coats with Nightshade and 3 coats of clear and a good spit and polish.

can you please quote me the light meter part number you used for this "test" and also the company name and calibration date that you used to get it in spec?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Now thats just a low blow :(

But, been thinking maybe i should remove it - what would be the go to get em back to stock appearance lots of sanding till the spray is gone and then clearcoat to shine it up and cut and polish !?

i really support this idea. thinners should wipe it off no problem, no sanding or buffing required. DO IT. these guys are not fking around when they say you will be at fault in a crash.

Just be carefull what you use to remove the tint.
It could end up fogging the lens. By that I mean whatever you use could end up etching the plastic and making it frosted.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
All because it "looks cool"?

The OP will look really cool with his head hung and crying while standing in the dock on manslaughter charges.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Thanks for the information.

But I already have all the ADR Standards required for an MA Category passenger vehicle.

A lot of you people seem pretty passionate about this subject, I'm pleased to see.

Now, ari666 I know and understand what you're saying ok, but tell me this. If the tinted lamp being tested still passes ADR 49/00 and QLD's Transport Operations 1995 Act (Not the Regulation) what is to say my tail lamps are illegal. I passed the test with one coat of Nite-Shades and it was still dark, but knowing me I went darker and look at the result.

Remember too, that I live in remote Far Nth West QLD, much different lifestyle compared to Victoria and the Police are much different too. Most of the time when I get pulled up, the young constables tell me about the 2inch wheel rule. There is no such thing. I get out of the situation because I say the right thing. Yeah, my tail lights now probably won't pass ADR 49/00, but they sure as hell pass the QLD Transport Operations Regulation tail light section.

And I have a bonus in my method too, as my neighbor is a Department of Transport and Main Roads Officer. So when I do in fact, get in trouble, he helps me out.

So thank you ari666 is providing sufficient evidence on this subject, and everyone else involved.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Dear Moderators ,
Can I get a early vote in for next years Just Commodores awards ?? :p

Rocking_along

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS ute
Why dont you just use thinners get all the night shades off (or buy a new pair of tail lights) and just do one coat of the tint with some clear cloat and it will look alot better, instead of it being black it would just have a dark shade to it.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
That's what I said. Problem solvered. Pun intended.

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Why dont you just use thinners get all the night shades off (or buy a new pair of tail lights) and just do one coat of the tint with some clear cloat and it will look alot better, instead of it being black it would just have a dark shade to it.

Taking a different approach, LED globes are in the post...

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Taking a different approach, LED globes are in the post...

Just wait and see how it goes I suppose.

I just went and sprayed one coat nite-shades and one coat clear on my clear set of tail lights. Performs much better than the tinted stock ute tail lights I have on at the moment. I'm going to purchase another clear and stock set just to make everyone hunky dory.

What globes did you end up ordering?

Status
Not open for further replies.