Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail Light Tinting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Before reading this, if your gonna carry on about the legalities and ramble on about the law - yes I already know, so dont bother answering.

Recently I decided to go ahead and tint the tail lights (about 3 coats) using VHT nightshades and clearcoat finish... Obviously having a tint its going to be harder for the light to penetrate, so Im wondering would installing brake, reverse, indicator leds get through the tint to make the light much more visible!? Im thinking about getting roughly a 50 LED globe (red/yellow/white) for each light type...

Thanks in advance guys...

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
They should do being a lot brighter than normal type bulbs during the day i don't know that they will be that bright. But at night you should have more light showing trough the tint.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
can you use something like Nightshades and just make it sliiiightly darker?

Most of the cars I've seen this done to look well tbh stupid and really defectable.

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
At night it shows through the tint easy, but daytime its just black with minimal light... Looks mad on a vy/vz, wish i could've gone just a bit darker though...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
shame you can't just go a little darker rather than black - that's kind of what I was hoping for, I want my Clubsports tail lights to be a bit darker.

This is what they look like now, bit darker would be sweet - totally black would be a bit meh imo

Also I would want them to look really glossy still - most of the cars I've seen with tinted tails look dull.

attachment.php

SH.00.MA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7L
Your car looks nice as it is man... but yep a bit of tint would be nice... uhm apparently the secret to a nice glossy finish is apply about 5 layers of clear coat and then cut and polish it with a machine, i dont have an electric buffer so it only half came out, ill show a pic of mine tomorrow, but yeh theyre slightly dull which doesnt look as good as it couldve

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Look forward to seeing the pics.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
I wonder if you gave your lights to a panel/spray shop to buff them up if you would get the glossy effect you are after.No idea if that would cost the same as buying your own cheap electric buffer and giving it a go your self.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Why didnt you just swap out the SV6 lights for SS lights and have a decent finish?

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
i had a post typed up for this thread earlier, then decided not to proceed.. I think any moron that paints his tailights and then wonders why no lights getting through needs to give himself a wedgie..

I spent my time looking at boats instead, part of me wants to tell him he should paint his tail lights black and drill holes so light can get through, the other part of me wants to tell him that he should replace his tail lights with the standard ones again and leave them alone. If i see a car with tinted tail lights, my first thought is usually "i wonder if he can afford his excess" i wouldnt mind a new front end..

Status
Not open for further replies.