Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Teen arrested for listening to rap music.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
A TEEN has been arrested for listening to what police deem offensive rap music.

In what could be a legal test case, 19-year-old Nathan Michael Wilkie faces a charge of offensive behaviour after police arrested him when he was listening to music by underground rapper Kid Selzy on his car stereo, the Herald Sun reports.

Mr Wilkie was parked outside a Timboon supermarket, waiting for his mother, when he was arrested.

The Warrnambool Magistrates' Court heard he was listening to lyrics such as "shut your f------ mouth bitch, f------ motherf-----".

The court was told the arresting officers found the music offensive and derogatory to females.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Mr Wilkie allegedly told officers: "You're a joke, go do some real police work."

The teenager is believed to be the first person charged under Australian law with offensive behaviour for listening to music.

Through his lawyer, Amanda Chambers, Mr Wilkie plans to plead not guilty when his case continues on June 11.

Mr Wilkie said he was thankful to have the support of Kid Selzy, who plans to attend in June.

"I am grateful to have Kid Selzy's support as this charge is a reflection on his music, that is not supposed to be offensive in any way," Mr Wilkie wrote.

"As Selzy said, 'I know what I mean and the people who buy it know what I mean, and that's what really matters'.

"He also mentioned 'if you read my lyrics, it's just my opinion'.

"And from what I believe, everyone has the right to their own opinion.

"I have lost two of my best mates in the last couple of years in tragic circumstances and I feel that listening to his music relates to life."

Kid Selzy, who gave his real name only as Jack, said he was astounded at the arrest.

"It's a joke that some kid's been arrested for doing something that's not illegal," he said.

"It's not illegal to have your windows down or to buy a CD. It seems to be a waste of taxpayers' dollars.

"If profanity's not your thing, don't listen."

The rapper said the case first came to his attention when Mr Wilkie's mother, Carolyn Wilkie, posted a message on his MySpace page.

"My son bought your CD ... from JB Hi-Fi and was playing it in his car," the message reads.

"Unfortunately he saw me (his mum) coming out of the local supermarket with shopping bags and left his car running and music playing to help me with my bags and the local cops pulled in.

"They stuck their head in his half-open window and were very offended by the lyrics of your CD.

"The end result is he has been served a summons for offensive behaviour for playing your CD, which they said was too loud and the lyrics offensive, especially to women."

Police are expected to play Kid Selzy's latest album, The Creepshow, at the next hearing.

Discuss .

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
What a Nazi state this is turning into. Same sorta language you here people carrying on with down at the pub. Might call the cops next time someone swears at the pool table. What a joke!!

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
meh, it was bound to happen. It's the 21st century.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
now if only they start fining people for that screaming emo crap.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah, that could have easily been fixed with a "Turn it down, no one else wants to hear it."

I agree, this whole country is going to ****.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Lulz were had. I'm going to make a complaint if i ever hear 5AD playing, that music is offensive to me because its old and derogatory to young people:rofl2:

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
i dont want to listen to other peoples chioce of music but this is a bit over the top. as said before a warning to turn it down i think would have been more appropriate. lucky hes not in SA, they wouldve impounded the car too.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I waiting for them to use live ammunition on "Hoon" drivers. Seriously, thats about how over the top their going with this sh!t. /end offtopic.