Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tell us the stories of your awesome mechanics and how they helped you out.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Im sick of the bitching kids who got ripped. Wanna hear about good stories. Stuff like:

I took a week off "work" so i could rebuild and install a t700 i got off hozy. Thought i had all the bits sorted, but mid way through the build i realised that the 1-2 accumulator was borked. My mechanic came through. Had a spare dead trans with a working accumulator that he GAVE to me.

The rest of the install went pretty smoothly but there was a weird scraping noise. Went back to him. We went for a drive. After 2 meters down the road he diagnosed that something was scraping the tailshaft. He stuck it on his 4 poster hoist and we instantly saw the handbrake cable pressed hard onto the tail shaft, something i couldnt see on my hoist cos' the wheels are unsupported.

He let be borrow his tools and 10 mins later i was driving off happier than larry.

Good mechanics are out there, tell me about yours

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
fella i go to.

any problem or issue. can just rock up there and have a chat. and get an easy answer.
will drop anything to help out. and makes it easy for everybody to understand.

never had an issue. never been ripped off or anything.
bascially when i get something new put in, he'll show me the old stuff and show what went wrong or any signs of damage etc.
even when i had some other stuff done. because it amassed to so much he said. he'd knock off a few bucks.

was even good enough to give me a go at the workshop when i had work experience. taught me some great habits and tips and tricks.
and overall a great guy.

same with the spray painter i go to.
have never had any drama with him. straight forward.
easy to just rock up and talk about some stuff. and has some great little tips and advice.
top notch blokes.

need to add the spare parts people at the Local Holden dealer.
absolute legends.
not a case of "eh we dont have it"
they actually look through the entire stock aus wide. and give a straightforward answer.

also i hear there is an awesome mechanic who converts cars for a living.
has always given good advice and little bits and pieces of info to take on board.
never had a problem with him either, and can always answer questions with useful responses.

Last edited:

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Jesters Car audio in Townsville.

Great guy, fixed my head unit and sub for $10, even crimped all my cables and got all te wiring sorted out.

and Eric my mechanic in bundy, truel a great bloke, always on the ball, always happy to help, and his prices are more than reasonable, he's always been helpful and friendly. fixed a fair few of the problems I had wit my old VK.

and KTMR in townsville, a very down to earth guy, he might not be able to do the job, but he could always point me in the right direction.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
When i bought my current car i took it to a random country mechanic to get a roady the bloke changed my brake pads, fixed my oils leaks. replaced my distributer cap, fixed the idel, replaced the sump and rocker cover then gave me a RWC all for for $200.
I had alot of trouble removing my old http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/175937-oil-filter-stuck.html last year after i bought my car last year as it was last changed in jan 2007, so i called a mobile mechanic he came to me after hours so i could get home from work.
i took my old car to a mechanic a few years back because my check engine light was on and i didn't know what why it kept coming on. the dude said if i shout him a burger and a coke he would fix it.
took the old lady's car in for a service and they serviced it
the same mech who gave me the roady for my current car gave me a free new battery if i drove him to pick up another car.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
my mechanic mate is a champion. all i have to do is give him a carton of beer and i have free run of the shop, use his hoist/tools everything. he lets me send the parts i order when im away working to his shop so they're ready to go for the next round of mods when im home next.

every arvo after knock off time theres always a few of the vip customers and drinking buddies around for a drink and a yarn about our toys.. about the only complaint i have is that whenever i see his lowly paid apprentice son at the pub on a friday night he always ends up scamming $50 worth of drinks out of me!

Kcboiye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Wl Statesman
not really a mechanic but more a wrecker, he's a family friend and most of the time gives me stuff for nothin, last time i went i gave him a box full of chocolate and he gave me 2 whole diff centers for nothin

but my normal mechanic is a mate of my uncle, plus i got my current dog from him, he always does a top job no matter what it is and also gives me bit of a discount

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Have a mechanic that does great work at reasonable prices but the only problem is he can talk your ear off! Lol

Last edited:

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I see Jason at JCA, always helpful, up for a chat and puts his customers first. Good prices, doesn't bullshit, and knows his stuff. That's enough for me.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Got a LSD for my car, took it to my mechanic and asked how much. He goes chuck us your keys, give them, get car up on hoist. 5 minutes later, yeah it will bolt straight up no probs, go get us a carton of Corona and we will do it. Got him a carton (had to lug it a few kilometres, didn't think of that) and he fit the diff and changed the oil.

Fulcrum do free inspections, always been honest to me, took my car in this one time he goes this bush is shagged, come have a look. Gets me on the creeper and points out the movement.
Another time same mob put some spacers on my rear springs for me, he goes I don't know if they are big enough so drive around for a few days and if they aren't we will change them to bigger, otherwise come back and pay us if your happy.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Back before I had a commodore I got stuck with a volvo 240GL which an airforce avionics technician had decided to 'improve'. Whole car was a dogs breakfast of projects and rewiring to pimp the audio system, install a cb radio and performance enhances.

Spent the first 3 months of having it repairing it to make it run again...... 3 months after this completely redid the audio painstakingly and made it work...... my local mechanic chris at povey motors knew how poor I was at the time and took the time to take 5-10 minutes here and there to TEACH me how to do a lot of the repair jobs so I could save myself all the money going to him and just get him to do the jobs I couldnt do.

Thought the guy was a legend for it...... then one day this mysterious black box we'd found under the dash became clear with what it was........ as the battery kept depleting..... and one day after charging the battery back up the car immobilized itself and the alarm went off..... didnt even know the thing had an alarm we'd found no wiring for it.

This was at 4.30pm on a friday night...... the boys from poveys actually CAME over to my house and worked out the dogs breakfast of wiring to rip out and subdue the alarm and disable the immobilizer. Took them a good 45 minutes and they wouldnt even let me give them anything for it.

Since then i've never used another mechanic and i've sent them tons of work and had them work on all my cars... when his boss Dave told me I should buy a holden when I moved the 240 on.... I goddam listened!

Putting together a youtube show at the moment which a few of you will findout about when its wraps are taken off, and these guys we're the first guys to sponsor it and support it.

Also the only business i've ever known who admit when they make mistakes, took my AC in for a regas one day and the apprentice broke my AC switch.... had a new switch in by the friday and installed.

Total champs and all around good guys