Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

temp gauge

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
I'm looking to install a temp gauge in my vs s2, it has the factory one, but want a digital read out one I've found. I'm wondering, how would I go about piggybacking it off my current sensor wiring or could that infact give an inaccurate reading? Otherwise, how would I add it into the setup? Cheers

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
You cant piggyback it off your original sender, all aftermarket gauges should come with a correct sender to suit. on the VS you can unscrew the stock sender and possibly with the need of an adaptor (thread is 1/8" NPT) screw in your new sender back in the stock location. By doing this way your factory gauge will not work.

If you want the factory gauge to work, you can possible get a t-piece for bother senders, or you can get adapters that go in the top radiator hose.

Cheers.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Yes I had thought of a t piece, was wondering if having original temp sender unplugged will affect thermo fans or affect temp light on dash, will look into it all :) cheers

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Light on the dash would not work, Thermo fans would function as normal, they use a separate sensor the PCM uses.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Sweet, looks like shopping is in order

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
You could install the sensor for the new gauge and plug in the factory gauge to it as normal. then piggy back the new gauge of the wire to the factory gauge behind the dash.

Saves alot of wiring and then the factory gauge still does something.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
You can use an aftermarket coolant temperature gauge wired off the original coolant temperature sender. You can get the power and illumination circuit wires from various plugs behind the dash cluster. ( I used the demister switch power and illumination wires as the button isn't installed in a ute )

The temperature sender doesn't affect the cooling fan electrical circuit. It only sends a temperature reading to the dash. The coolant temperature SENSOR controls the cooling fans.

The standard Ecotec coolant temperature sender replacement is Tridon Part # TTS 062, 1/8 29 NPT thread. But I changed my sender to a nut type instead of a slip on terminal type. Reassurance that the temperature gauge reading is accurate. But all this was before I installed a water temperature sender adapter in the top radiator hose.

So,
- Wire from original temperature sender
- Water temperature sender adapter

Either way, both will work.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
or you can get adapters that go in the top radiator hose.

Do not connect to top hose as this is after the thermostat and suffers from temp fluctuations. Connect to somewhere on the manifold.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Drill and tap another hole in the bottom thermostat housing for the new sensor.. Job done.

benmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
You could install the sensor for the new gauge and plug in the factory gauge to it as normal. then piggy back the new gauge of the wire to the factory gauge behind the dash.

Saves alot of wiring and then the factory gauge still does something.

Just a question as im having trouble with wiring my aftermarket gauge in y would u need to piggy back off the standard one behind the dash if the new sender u put in has 2 wires coming off it??
I knw one is for earth and the other signal but could u just put that sender in run ur gauge off it the splice the standard gauge wire into them??