Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Temporary Outdoor Flooring

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey,

I need your help guys.

I've got a party coming up and we've got a 8m x 8m marquee going up in the back yard.

I'm looking for flooring options to put down, since I'm not keep on dishing out 650 for some temporary flooring when the Marquee itself is only 600 bucks.

I had the idea of jsut buying some particle board sheets from bunnings an putting them down, but that will cost about the same as hiring a floor.

Anyone have any ideas or contacts?

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
The Yellow Tongue Particleboard Flooring is $37 per sheet looking in the latest catalogue I have.
Not a bad price per size(3600 x 900), except that 2 lengths comes to 7200, leaves you 800 short of the 8000 you need one way.
And you'd need at least 9 across the other way, as 8 leaves you 800 short also, with a lot of joins everywhere to trip on..
Works out to a 3 x 9 layout, at $999. Ouch..
So yeah, a bit pricey for a one off deal, unless you have other uses for that much flooring?
Or I guess you could try selling it afterwards, to make some of your money back?
Bunnings may have bigger sheets, but that's all that's in the catalogue. 8 x 8 is a pretty big surface to cover.

Last edited:

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
Go into bunnings and have a chat with them on what you could possibly do..... coz you need to also take in to account the fact that you want this flooring to be stable so no one injures themselves just coz you wanna save a few bucks. you would be surprised on how helpful the guys at bunnings can be.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
The Yellow Tongue Particleboard Flooring is $37 per sheet looking in the latest catalogue I have.
Not a bad price per size(3600 x 900), except that 2 lengths comes to 7200, leaves you 800 short of the 8000 you need one way.
And you'd need at least 9 across the other way, as 8 leaves you 800 short also, with a lot of joins everywhere to trip on..
Works out to a 3 x 9 layout, at $999. Ouch..
So yeah, a bit pricey for a one off deal, unless you have other uses for that much flooring?
Or I guess you could try selling it afterwards, to make some of your money back?
Bunnings may have bigger sheets, but that's all that's in the catalogue. 8 x 8 is a pretty big surface to cover.

wouldn't you have 2 x 9 and then another 2 at 90' angle. that would mean 20 @ $37 = $740

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
im guessing its going on grass, might wanna watch out putting particle board down going to feel like walking a mattress, could be dangerous.
Theres, probably nto much you can do with out it costing a small fortune.

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
wouldn't you have 2 x 9 and then another 2 at 90' angle. that would mean 20 @ $37 = $740

That does sound a lot better* actually, my brain still wasn't working this morning, coffee was taking it's time kickin in.. lol

Edit: Except that still might not work, because the area is 8m x 8m, so with the 2 at right angles@3600mm long, one corner will still be 800mm short?
So basically you'd need those 2lengths@3600, then a 1/4 of a sheet for the missing corner. :)

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
rip some off from the local building site.

"sir, some wood went missing"
"there will be no hospital. I'll tell the children"

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, it's going on grass but its very short grass and if I was going to do the particle board I was intenting on using some tent pegs or what not to hold it in place...

Main reason is that I don't want people to be walking around on wet grass/mud...

Last resort will be to nail down some tarps over the area for the week before to prevent the ground being saturated.

Keep the ideas coming! :p

doms1

Reaction score
Members Ride
BANNED
Depending if you want to kill the grass or not,we used some cheap floating floors at my 21st in a marquee,cheap place to get some.
BigBrands.com.au

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
Failing that, maybe try a second hand dealer, might be able to pick some cheap rolls of linoleum carpet or something? Although wont be as nice looking..