Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Terrorizing Trucks

Who is at fault?

• Merc Driver

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Truck Driver

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • A Current Affair

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
Now the truth comes out. Her driving was just setting up the behaviour of other drivers just to get a juicy bit of footage. Unfortunate that a crash happened.

yeah... he stated,that they didn't stop at a scene of an accident....

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
mate that is not crap!! you can see further ahead,and you can reasonably judge accordingly...he was a good 2 car lenghts behind

Just went and had a look for facts on stopping distances for trucks.

An 18 Wheeler requires 0.25 to 1.0 before the brakes are activated, from the time of brake depression.

I found this on a website and am unsure of its full truthfullness but i will continue like it is true.

So taking the maximum time it could take for the brakes to activate...1 second from the time you press the pedal, at 80km/h you've traveled an additional 22 metres.

Now...at 100km/h a truck, in optimum conditions needs apparently around 525ft (159, call it 160 metres) to stop.

Add on say 1 second reaction time thats another 27 metres. (because we're looking at 100km now, not 80)

So we come up with over 200 metres to pull up a roughly 30 Tonne weight up.

And if we say, yes, every car is leaving a 2 carlength gap between themselves and the next car (because they dont) its roughly 13 cars away that he'd have to be watching to make sure he'd be able to pull his truck up

(websites used for distances: http://www.truck-accident-lawfirm.com/CM/Resources/Trucking-Accidents-Collision.asp )

PS...im not too good at mathematics and based all this on statistics and facts found from websites and i know, real world conditions are different, but yeah.

Im waiting for Minux to prove me wrong and call me all types of names, but atleast i'll learn something new:)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
80 K's and under....left lane on dual carriageways,i can't remember now,she was in the lane closest to tunnel wall wasn't she? thats the slow lane...i dunno i think your road laws maybe different,all i can say is she musn't of being doing 80,as the truck would have no need to move over to get past her....Hmmm just don't know,but i'm getting sick of hearing about how people think truck drivers are bullies,a small majority yes,but only a small majority.
The law is 80km/h or under, and while I agree she shouldn't of been in that lane she technically wasn't breaking any laws. Also if you travel on that section of the freeway, it doesn't matter what the speed limit nor what speed you are doing the trucks always seem to have a reason to drive faster.

shumway

Son of satan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 6/71 blown and injected 355 V6
The law is 80km/h or under, and while I agree she shouldn't of been in that lane she technically wasn't breaking any laws. Also if you travel on that section of the freeway, it doesn't matter what the speed limit nor what speed you are doing the trucks always seem to have a reason to drive faster.

because truck drivers think they own the road and there **** dont stink ,the next one that cuts me off will find out what happens....wont say here cause i have respect for the forum:bang:

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6

An 18 Wheeler requires 0.25 to 1.0 before the brakes are activated, from the time of brake depression.

I found this on a website and am unsure of its full truthfullness but i will continue like it is true.

So taking the maximum time it could take for the brakes to activate...1 second from the time you press the pedal, at 80km/h you've traveled an additional 22 metres.

Now...at 100km/h a truck, in optimum conditions needs apparently around 525ft (159, call it 160 metres) to stop.

Add on say 1 second reaction time thats another 27 metres. (because we're looking at 100km now, not 80)

And if we say, yes, every car is leaving a 2 carlength gap between themselves and the next car (because they dont) its roughly 13 cars away that he'd have to be watching to make sure he'd be able to pull his truck up

(websites used for distances: http://www.truck-accident-lawfirm.com/CM/Resources/Trucking-Accidents-Collision.asp )

PS...im not too good at mathematics and based all this on statistics and facts found from websites and i know, real world conditions are different, but yeah.

Im waiting for Minux to prove me wrong and call me all types of names, but atleast i'll learn something new:)

thanks for the info mate,but i'm aware of the stopping distances for various weights and lengths of trucks.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6

agreed,but from what i saw on today tonight,i'd say the truck driver was peeved,the merc driver is considering taking legal action against her and ACA,he stated that she was driving rather eratically for at least 2 Km's,speeding up,slowing down,and the fact that they didn't stop at the scene of an accident.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
both at fault, they were both changing lanes, they both should have had their indicator flash for at least 5 flashes they both should have seen that and acted accordingly. both at fault

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750

I like it how they make no reference to Jacob Brakes, Exhaust Brakes, Retarders, Compression Brakes etc, all which help to decrease time and distance required for a truck to stop. You will find now with most of the auxillary brakes used on trucks that their application is instantaneous, requiring only certain parametres to be met ,eg foot off clutch and accelerator. Plus the fact that almost every late model truck has either ABS or EBS, and it is extremely effective.

Regardless of who is at fault, it is my personal opinion that EVERY driver in Australia could use a bit more education when it comes to driving and other road users.
Really, when you think about it, how hard is it to get your license these days?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
And what about the attitude of that truckie "oh, i can see further ahead so i can get closer"

most truckies wouldn't be able to see past their windscreens in their drug induced stupors.

like the one that ploughed into the back of me at 60 km/h a few years ago while i was stopped at a red light and he went through 2 sets of lights before hitting me and pushing my car into the back of 3 other cars that were stopped at the lights in front of me.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
lets not forget that to change lanes with a full rig of his size IN A CRAMPED AND OFTEN DULLY LIT TUNNEL is just plain stupid! i dont blame him for getting impatient but its due to his impatience that the acident has occured regardless of whether the wowan in front was going slow or in the wrong lane! if he had of waited untill they where at least out of the tunnel and in the open instead of being pushy this may never have happened!