Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Testing Coolant Sensor V6

iroczinoz

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have a table of what the coolant sensor values should be at certain temperatures?

I need to check if it is not stuffed I have the info how to check the o2 sensor, but I would really like to know how to check the CTS.

Can anyone help?

Car is 1994 VR V6

Also does anyone know if there is a freeware scanner program so you can datalog the car and then go through the data? I have a similar set-up on my chev where I do just about everything to the PROM. What is the best stuff out there to datalog a VR commodore with?

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
According to my information the coolant sensor resistance at operating temp should be 220-450ohms and room temperature 2000-3000ohms. The sensor wires should show 4V. Good Luck.

Re mapping etc - check in the wiring/electrical section of justcommodoresfor this as there are a few threads plus an active group that post there.

Last edited:

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
Just my opinion, but I would change the sensor anyway. I tested one a few years ago in my old mans VR Acclaim and couldn't fault it. It tested within the given specs. I couldn't find the cause of the problems we were having anywhere else so I priced a sensor, only $8 at the time. I changed it just to see and problem solved. $8 in the morning would have saved me 6 hours of frustration.