Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

///The Euro I4 Project

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
need to stop fkn around with little things and get it back on the road man.

ive done barely anything on it for a long time, little things are better than nothing yeh?

diff arrived yesterday, pulled the back cover off today, and was greeted with this

Img_1423.jpg

for those that have no idea what theyre looking at, its a s15 helical diff center. so looks like ill be throwing this diff straight in after i measure up the output shafts so i can get some cv adapters made.

ill try and sell off the obx lsd, or throw it in the cupboard as a backup.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you ####ing lucky prick nice score for $100

haha, was 150, but still a damn good score!!!! was not expecting it. my initial reaction was "#### ITS A VLSD", then i spied the gears sticking out the casing and went "WAIT A MINUTE". wanna buy a obx helical? sell it to you cheap ;)

yesterday i spent measuring up the output shaft bolt pattern and replicating it in my 3d app, so i can get iblown to make new adapters for me. today i found my old adapters, and threw the 5 bolt pattern on top of the new one, to find the new bolt pattern will actually fit on the old one and clear the old holes. so now i gotta send them to iblown to do a redrill for me.

1.jpg

i also pulled the old diff out of the car, so i could raid the front mount bushes off it, which were in tight(steel on steel, silly idea), dad managed to break them free, so i threw some antiseize on them and banged them in the new diff, along with the rear mount.

now i just need to thow some fresh oil in it and put it back in.

Img_1437.jpg

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Amazing how much progress is made when your daily is at the doctors. Isn't it?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Amazing how much progress is made when your daily is at the doctors. Isn't it?

its only because ive been trying to find a diff. this whole diff episode has just played havoc with my motivation to work on it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
got the bolts i needed to finish the alternator bracket today, so after work i bolted it on. just need to sort out a slightly longer belt, and an allen head bolt for the adjuster.

its held on with 2 bolts and one nut to the timing cover, i cant get a m10 tap down to the lower 4th spot, which i'll do if it decides to flext at all(it really shouldnt), or when the motor or radiator comes out next.

Img_1442.jpg

also bought some diff oil, might put that in tomorrow

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
what so special about the diff hak? sorry bit blind to diff knowledge.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
its like a torsen diff, so it uses gears to transfer torque, theres no clutches like a normal lsd, means it doesnt wear out, but it does behave differently

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
my driveshaft/diff adapters came back from iblown today, along with some bits for the 36 and some hubcentric rings for dads car

so now i have both 2x3 and 5 stud nissan driveshaft patterns on the adapters, so diff options are expanded should i need to :p

Img_1562.jpg

seems i done good on the measuring, coz they bolted up bang on!! just need to get some of those spacer/double washer things for the commodore cv's

Img_1566.jpg

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i loctited the adapters onto the diff today, and started reinstalling the diff. looks like i'll need to drop the subframe to get it fully bolted back up, and to do some clearancing for the front diff flange.

might be able to put my pump and filter back up where they were too, just move them a touch.(they worked fine wherte they were, i moved them for clearance of the driveshaft, which now looks like it should be fine

next job is to cut up the commodore shafts and work out new length for each side

Img_1596.jpg

need to get some of those washer/shim things that go under the bolts on the cv's too sometime.