Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Kings Wood Fired Pizza Oven Thread

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Both my ovens have needed several hours to get a solid heat. The bloke who taught me about brick pizza ovens said his takes hours to heat up and he had been in business for years when I was living in Willunga. I have had pizza ovens for years so I know a bit about them @Hole Denn . You need to remember that you also need to heat the brick base. In my experience this can not be done in an hour or two.
I am not disagreeing with you, I believe what you say for your situation but would like to add there are other ways to do the same thing with better results, in the end we are all eating well and probably more than we should.

I have experience too for many years (wood heater) and grew up with my parents always cooking outside in their backyard kiln oven, I will tell you a bit about the brick base, which is a big heat soak that loses heat quickly down underneath, trick to keeping constant heat and less work/fire is leave a thin layer of ash over bricks and cook on top of big clean polished tiles of granite, it gives you the same taste as brick pizza without the ash taste and cooks quicker. My mum for years cooked bread on the granite tiles and it was easy for her and bread was less burnt/dirty base and meat meals in aluminium containers cooked beautiful, she even used to do the loose vegies in alloy containers. We actually cooked less pizza and more food.

Also heat rises and I have noticed your dome is very high and your flue is on it, thus losing more heat, you should move flue to over the little door canopy and loose less heat and in turn would take less time to get temps and that top heat not lost would circulate from flame draw down around walls to the brick base quicker thus requiring less time to heat up initially. Burning a fire in oven initially and one outside to get hardwood/coals/charcoal then placing them in oven corner gets your constant temps quicker and you add more depending how long you want oven on, the outside fire pit in winter is the double bonus, sometimes you have to work smarter not harder and big is not always better..

The time of 4-6 hours to reach temp you mentioned earlier in posts #12/16 to heat your pizza oven indicates it”s basically too tall/oversize = more fuel = more effort = more wasted time to heat it up for just 1 short use = not the best efficency.

The setup Immortality has is a more smaller practical balanced size perfect for private backyard use.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I am not disagreeing with you, I believe what you say for your situation but would like to add there are other ways to do the same thing with better results, in the end we are all eating well and probably more than we should.

I have experience too for many years (wood heater) and grew up with my parents always cooking outside in their backyard kiln oven, I will tell you a bit about the brick base, which is a big heat soak that loses heat quickly down underneath, trick to keeping constant heat and less work/fire is leave a thin layer of ash over bricks and cook on top of big clean polished tiles of granite, it gives you the same taste as brick pizza without the ash taste and cooks quicker. My mum for years cooked bread on the granite tiles and it was easy for her and bread was less burnt/dirty base and meat meals in aluminium containers cooked beautiful, she even used to do the loose vegies in alloy containers. We actually cooked less pizza and more food.

Also heat rises and I have noticed your dome is very high and your flue is on it, thus losing more heat, you should move flue to over the little door canopy and loose less heat and in turn would take less time to get temps and that top heat not lost would circulate from flame draw down around walls to the brick base quicker thus requiring less time to heat up initially. Burning a fire in oven initially and one outside to get hardwood/coals/charcoal then placing them in oven corner gets your constant temps quicker and you add more depending how long you want oven on, the outside fire pit in winter is the double bonus, sometimes you have to work smarter not harder and big is not always better..

The time of 4-6 hours to reach temp you mentioned earlier in posts #12/16 to heat your pizza oven indicates it”s basically too tall/oversize = more fuel = more effort = more wasted time to heat it up for just 1 short use = not the best efficency.

The setup Immortality has is a more smaller practical balanced size perfect for private backyard use.
Although I don’t have a pizza oven and have never built one, I do tend to agree with your summary.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Although I don’t have a pizza oven and have never built one, I do tend to agree with your summary.
Thank you sir, just sharing from experience what works for me @ now,
after all those early years it pays off sometimes when you look/listen what the old man/mum did apart from the yelling, boozing and kicking/slapping us around.

At least I can cook and eat well @ eat sleep sex = repeat = Live

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Thank you sir, just sharing from experience what works for me @ now,
after all those early years it pays off sometimes when you look/listen what the old man/mum did apart from the yelling, boozing and kicking/slapping us around.

At least I can cook and eat well @ eat sleep sex = repeat = Live
Yes I was a bricklayer in another life and built and repaired a lot of fireplaces, so I sort of understand how it works. I loved laying bricks and the physicality of it. Unfortunately, repetitive strain injuries got the better of me. But hey, there’s nothing like the diversity of life and being able to go out and do anything you put your mind to, to survive:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes I was a bricklayer in another life.
Hold my beer, I need to remove any photos of new pizza oven, at fear of embarrassment in my brick laying skills.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hold my beer, I need to remove any photos of new pizza oven, at fear of embarrassment in my brick laying skills.
Nothing wrong with having a go yourself, I admire that. You don’t seem to have made a bad effort:)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That pizza oven I made is the first time I did any brick work and it hasn't collapsed yet so I'll call that a win :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nothing wrong with having a go yourself, I admire that. You don’t seem to have made a bad effort:)
Put it this way, once I render the lot no one will ever know. I didn't have the proper string lines, nor do I know how to set them up for brick work, hence they are not all perfectly straight walls, like you see when a tradesman has done the work. It will be fine it will just look a bit amateur.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
I need to remove any photos of new pizza oven, at fear of embarrassment in my brick laying skills.
If the fear of embarrassment scares you, knock it down and start again ;)

Put it this way, once I render the lot no one will ever know.
tooooo late, we all know now and show it up to you when we come to inspect it ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lex