Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The latest project, removable camper project, OZ Trail 8.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I test fitted the stove but never turned it on. Stove into old to be any good now.

I am going to go to Mitre 10 tomorrow and see if they have a stove which can take a flared gas hose fitting.

I thought the gas hose would suit my BBQ. Again it screws on but the gas is not working right. I might see if I can buy the right hose somewhere.

If buying a new stove, two suggestions…

a) have a careful look through instruction manual, before buying, and see if there is any warnings or cautions about keeping the bottle lower than the stove. If it has a warning like ‘gas bottle must be lower than the stove’, then it won’t be suitable of a trailer mounted gas bottle.

b) have a read of the Drifta Kitchen’s website. Then have some very good recommendations there.

If you have aspirations of using the gas bottle while it is on the trailer, you are probably looking at a low-pressure setup. They are the ones that have the pressure regulator at the gas bottle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I managed to use the parks camp kitchen to cook my steak and veggies. Feel better now and can think more clearly.

So I'm hoping the issue with the stove is age. I'm hoping that if I can get a new stove at Mitre 10 that my new hose with reg will fit a new stove. I'm assuming that possibly new stoves seal differently, that's what I hope anyway, and that a new stove will have a round fitting to fit the flare on the new hose, otherwise why would Mitre 10 have these low pressure reg hoses in the camping section? If they have one in stock I can try it out. If that fails then I will have wasted $45 on a hose with a low pressure reg and will need to get a gas bottle adapter and lose the reg. Because obviously these hoses are meant for something I have no clue what.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As for the BBQ yeah it could well be the gas bottle too high. I still have about 6kg of gas in small camping style bottles. If I can find a hose cheap enough or if mine turns up at home, even though I looked I should be right to keep using it. A BBQ place might even have a hose. The original BBQ hose had two side holes around the fitting to the barbie. I don't know what purpose they serve but on the stove they caused it to leak.

I'll get there. Wished I tested it out before I left. I thought since it screwed on it was all good to go.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I managed to use the parks camp kitchen to cook my steak and veggies. Feel better now and can think more clearly.

So I'm hoping the issue with the stove is age. I'm hoping that if I can get a new stove at Mitre 10 that my new hose with reg will fit a new stove. I'm assuming that possibly new stoves seal differently, that's what I hope anyway, and that a new stove will have a round fitting to fit the flare on the new hose, otherwise why would Mitre 10 have these low pressure reg hoses in the camping section? If they have one in stock I can try it out. If that fails then I will have wasted $45 on a hose with a low pressure reg and will need to get a gas bottle adapter and lose the reg. Because obviously these hoses are meant for something I have no clue what.

I’m going by the Drifta recommendations (they are usually on the ball). Maybe see if Mitre 10 has this one? https://www.drifta.com.au/product/companion-two-burner-high-output-stove/

Edit: we have the older ‘red’ version and it’s absolutely fantastic. It puts out heaps of heat, so it can boil the billy very quickly - much quicker than the older high-pressure stove we previously had.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
https://www.mitre10.com.au/companion-ranger-2-burner-stove-2696722?gad_source=1
This is what I'm hoping they have in stock. And hopefully it suits my new hose. Or if I need the one it comes with hopefully it's at least 900mm long.

That’s probably okay, but check if there are any hight or gas hose length restrictions. That one isn’t the ‘high output’ one though, so it’ll be slower. The high output (25,000 BTU) is not much more expensive - e.g. https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/companion-stove-2-burner-25000-btu

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mitre 10 only have this one available. If they even have one in stock. If I have to I will pull out the gas bottle and use it on the ground.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for the advice on the gas bottle height too Chrisp. I never knew that would even be an issue.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Are you using a new regulator on the bottle ?