Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the price of a respray!!!

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
has anyone had their car resprayed? if so how much did u pay or if not how much would you expect to pay? i got a quick estimated quote for a paint shop here in Kalgoorlie wa. they told me it would cost $5000 to 6000 for a normal gloss coat respray. if i were to get them to do the body kit aswell (i am thinking of buying a kit) they would charge $8000 to 9000! its for my vr executive which only cost me 3600 so thats over double what the car cost.

G

GMH 72

You would pay that sort of money for a decent basic job on a VL Walkinshaw or similar type with all the hang-ons & it would be worth it as an investment.
Most of the time when you get a car resprayed there is a reason why & sometimes there is major panel beating that needs to be done which carries extra expense of course but if you have been quoted that much just for a basic respray with basic panel beating [shopping trolley dent here & there] i would shop around & go elsewhere.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
thats a little excessive man!
i mean when it comes to resprays you pay for quality and time....of which preping a whole car takes quite a bit.
if you prep you car (remove all the mouldings,door handles,interior...basically everything,lol...and sand it all back) you'll save yourself alot of money (you would need to tow it to the spray painter though).
also are you goin same colour respray..or different??
a whole new colour means a whole lot more work...you basically gotta take the car apart to get at everything to be reprayed!
anyway...if you can do the prep yourself and your goin same colour respray you should be lookin at around $1500-$2500 for you car and bodykit (and thats a decent price...$8-9k like you were quoted id be wantin a bloody showroom quality custom job)

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
thats what i was thinking! its crap asking that price! i was going to do it blue but i think i mite just do the kit white and use a high quality polish to get out some of the marks on the rest of my car. where i live (kalgoorlie, wa) is a very expensive country city as it has 30 000 people and not much competition ( 2 or 3 paint places).

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
just do it all white...if your paints' in ok condition it wont be a noticable colour difference between car and kit.
someone once told me white doesnt fade as bad/quickly as other colours (like red and black) but i dont really know if thats true....
mr g.harvey would probably know

B3NKobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
Well im wanting to get my VS Calais re-sprayed, the same colour, white over grey, Iv got some VZ Vents to put into the 2 front rh/lh guards, & I also have a few small dents here & there that i would like to be fixed,

Havnt got any quotes as yet, but have started saving, im heading towards $6000.

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
its true about the white not fading. when i was looking for my car i found heaps of faded vr's but no faded white ones. so naturally i got a white.

G

GMH 72

sircruisealotVS said:
just do it all white...if your paints' in ok condition it wont be a noticable colour difference between car and kit.
someone once told me white doesnt fade as bad/quickly as other colours (like red and black) but i dont really know if thats true....
mr g.harvey would probably know

lol You knew i would answer this one..... Solid white is actually one of the hardest colors to match edge to edge for most spray painters. It comes out either too clean or too dirty most times. I had trouble mixing some of the 3 layer pearls but solid white wasn't that bad for me so i didn't really know what the fuss was about.
White 2 pack is very good with the weather so it won't fade quickly but white acrylic usually fades a goes chalky. Red is the worst color for fading/oxidising because the pigmentation breaks down quickly. To prevent your duco oxidising or fading just give it a polish at least once a year.

Finnsk3

Reaction score
cost me about $400 to respray my VL in gold metalic I did all the body work my self and my mate sprayed it for $100. We used 4L of colour and 4L of clear and somefin like 15L of thiners but we did put ALOT of coats on like you know how most people do 2 coats of clear well I got about 12 coats put on thats why I paid my mate $100 to do it cuz it took him like 6 hours.

here are some pics if u wonna take a look..
Tas Commodores

Finnsk3

Reaction score
DB panel and paint is run by some people from the tas commmodore club and my mate is getting his VR resprayed and the car is covered heavily in hail damage because it was brought from melb... DB panel and paint quoted my mate $1800 to fix all of the hail damage and its pritty bad and respray it. It would probably cost half that for just a repray. They also said I could spray my car in their professional work shop for only $20 for the weekend so its a shame u dont have places like that in the mainland.