Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the reason my impala isnt getting ny love

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dem rotors
10610683_10152355375831402_5514199053671386148_n.jpg

10405596_10152355376041402_3896920051078111288_n.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Two words: STOCK RIMS!!! :D

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Standard wheels ftw

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
slotted rotors are up there with pod filters and neons.

Each to their own I guess. On my old commodore they made a big difference but then I drive down mt ousley everyday.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
V-specs have a diffuser in the bottom of the bar, see the very lowest hole?
1146442_10152347930671402_156871340953611121_n.jpg

behind that is an airdam which forces air towards the inside of the wheel, then fitted to the castor arm, there is a large plastic fin which wirects all the air directly onto the rotor.

this helps aid the cooling of the rotor massively.

when people start tweaking brakes on their car they often are not actually thinking about the cause/affects. for example by cutting slots in your rotors youre effectively reducing the surface area of contact between the pads and the rotors. now yes, this does help to cool, but possibly not the way you think it does. by reducing the mass, youre allowing it to heat and cool faster. try heating a big piece of steel with the oxy, then heat a smaller piece of steel. the big piece takes longer to heat and it also takes longer to cool.

now thats fine, having cooler brakes does tend to work better when youre on track. having cooler brakes on the street actually makes them worse.

then we get into rotor warp. i know i know there is a big discussion about rotor vibration being caused not by warping but by the contact material and pads not being "bedded in" properley, but i can tell you from watching a rotor get machined on a lathe... they warp, and they warp a LOT, if seen rotors that needed nearly a full mm off one side. so by making the contact area smaller and making the steel heat and cool faster, youre running a high risk of warping rotors.

then we get to the pads.

having a smooth rotor surface will mean your pads live longer. the slots act like a cheese grater, so to get padlife you need harder material, which again makes driving on the street WORSE.

and finally, although it doesnt relate to slots, i LOL at all the guys putting bigger 6 pot calipers on their commodores and calling it a "brake upgrade" its actually a downgrade in braking quality. by increasing the surface size of the braking, youre increasing the clamping force required to slow the car. so people throw these big 6 pots on their car and dont change master cylinder or booster, theyre actually making it so they need to press HARDER on the brake to get the exact same braking force. so again, this makes driving on the street WORSE. i know, i know, im just begging for people to post up saying "you dont know what youre talking about, i fitted 6 pots and my stopping is much better blah blah blah" you cant fight physics man. ill say the same thing i say about wooden manifold spacers "show me the test results before and after" youll excuse me if i dont believe your right foot is calibrated test equipment. especially just after youve spent $XXX on performance mods.

the V-spec GTR was designed with nismo suspension, 17" rims and brembo brakes, and they spent countless of millions in development to ensure the balance, poise and purpose of the car was perfect. if youve ever driven a completely stock GTR, youll know they are set up really beautifully. making a change to one area often fks up another area. i suppose as is the case with all cars. its all down to owners tastes, and they will believe what they want to believe:

my blue supercharger with gold lines looks cool
my wooden manifold spacers have improved my throttle response
this pod filter has given me heaps of top end
these 6 pot calipers now make my car stop like a brick
having spastic amounts of camber has allowed me to take corners now on 2 wheels

etc.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Damn this car is pretty, i love my old school and my steel but the engineering and effort that goes into these things is insane, also props to your write up ari. i am now more learned :p

i alwasy thought slotted rotors stopped harder becasue the slots gripped onto the pad like teeth.