Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the search for good ground?

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
hey guys just looking to improve the quality of my ground for the two amps in my boot just wondering where other vn vp vr vs owners have grounded theyre system any help will be good thanks. and or pictures,

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Sanded back a section of paint on the back of the rear seats (the steel frame) in the boot, rust proofed it, used a self tapper and grounded it there. Works fine.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
hey guys just looking to improve the quality of my ground for the two amps in my boot just wondering where other vn vp vr vs owners have grounded theyre system any help will be good thanks. and or pictures,
How have you determined the quality of the ground you have at the moment?
Do you have interference problems, or hums?

One method is to simply test the voltage difference between the grounding point for your amps and the return ground that leads to the -ve terminal of the battery when you have the amps powering along.
You'll need some extension wire on your multimeter, a difference of less than 0.1V would be excellent when drawing 20A or more.

if you have interference probs it may be worth measuring the difference in voltage between the head unit earth and the amps earthing point.

jimmy88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu "s" S2 5.7
would anyone also know one for a vu ute??? the amp is behind the drivers seat...

JoffLane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU 'S'
In the corner where the carpet ends at the base of the rear wall. I've had no problems.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
most should be able to get away with using the child restraint bolt as a good enough ground, but make sure to scratch the paint away. This is sufficient in most cases, however as you are grounding on sheet metal over the chassis it isnt perfect. I remember the ex forum sponsor aps saying once that the best place to ground was on the underside of the car, forward of the rear axle. Very costly and time consuming to achieve. Although if you really want to, kits are available to do it.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Several times I've used the "upper crossmember" (well, that's what I would call it ;) ) - basically it's the box section where the back seat frame joins the parcel shelf metalwork, accessible from inside the boot. As bezz has pointed out though, the kiddie seat restraint bolthole would do just as well, but DEFINITELY remove the paint from the surface first. If that's not done you're only depending on the threads of the bolt / screw to make the connection, and that's just not adequate.

Don't underestimate the problems that a dodgy ground will cause!

Cheerz. :thumbsup:

jimmy88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu "s" S2 5.7
yeah sweet cheers fellaz, i done it in the morning jus screwed a button head screw into the floor of the car, worked a treat! thanks anyway boys

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
I've uploaded a couple of pictures as to where i've grounded my amps. Ever since i've used this ground point, my car has been starting better for some reason. 1st picture is what it looks like and the 2nd picture is to give you an idea where the bolt and nut is.

Attachments

• DSC05072.jpg
    DSC05072.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 838
  • DSC05073.jpg
    DSC05073.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 428