Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ultimate in LPG gas systems ??

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
For those that have seen my posts before - you will know that I have been pushing the Blos mixer pretty hard. I fitted one around 6 months ago & I have done over 20,000 klm so I thought it right to post what I have found.

I have three vehicles, two run Airod variable mixers & the third runs a Blos - all three ran std ring mixers originally - so I am in a pretty good position to see the differences all round. I tune all vehicles by reading the oxygen sensor & driving the vehicle.

The Airod is great for most vehicles - with a VS V6 std engine it runs like it was on petrol with a std dual map LPG / Petrol memcal. (With the std Mixer & petrol only memcal it was a pig to drive with a huge loss of power.) It doesn't affect revs at all & it will rev right out as if its on petrol. Though it does not give the right draw down low for easy starting.

The Blos is fitted to a 2002 2.0L 2wd Toyota Hilux - always carrying a load - minimum of around 500kg. Its fitted with twin LPG tanks with a useable 128L. I get a consistent 1000 klm's per 128 L on LPG which is combined highway / town (not city - I don't get stuck in traffic) this equates to around $80 per 1000 klm depending on the cost of the LPG at the time. I drive pretty sedately though but keep to & exceed the speed limit at times.

I have been recently driving my Mothers Mazda 2 which is a 1.5 L auto & it costs me around $60-70 per 500 Klm - so the Hilux is pretty cheap running cost especially considering the weight I carry all the time.

A std ring mixer will not give enough draw on the LPG at low revs & is a restriction at high revs whereas the Blos gives the LPG the RIGHT draw right across the rev range without being a restriction at high revs. This makes starting much easier & drive ability of the vehicle at low revs - high engine load especially considering I run the engine on the lean side of stoichiometric.

I believe its as good as vapor injection in drive ability & fuel economy - its far cheaper than Vapor / Liquid injection & I don't have the expense of computers / injectors failing at a later date - ultimately its easily adjustable & very reliable. I have not changed the mixtures at all since original setup. Obviously its not going to help people with later model vehicles that require Vapor injection to comply - it can easily be fitted with an LPG computer system though so as to comply with most vehicles emission requirements.

Its certainly something to consider for people wanting performance though after doing research on other systems including a GRA system. The Airod as most of you know is not produced anymore & the Blos is available on Ebay.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I remember you and I having a discussion a while back on the merits of Standard vs Airod vs Blos...but from what you have described you seem really convinced that the BLOS mixer really stands out.

So if I am correct in assuming that the BLOS mixer gives greater draw across the entire rev range, allowing it to rev faster and rev out, giving greater down low/up high draw/torque rather than fading out. Starting is easy? Driveability much better down low?

How is the fuel efficiency? Has it improved or use more since the install of the BLOS?

Given your feedback, I'm very interested in replacing my Standard IMPCO mixer ring with a BLOS one, however I can't find them on ebay, could you throw up a few links or useful websites for them? What's the average cost also?

EDIT: On the BLOS mixer, do you run the standard memcal the way it was programmed with the conversion, or do you run a different set up, i.e. Dual Map, if so, how did you do it?

Last edited:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
I would also be interested in details of this, I was thinking about going a BLOS a while ago but wasn't sure how much power loss it had on petrol... If you dont mind me asking what is the internal diametre of the smallest part of the BLOS?

Been looking at this on the ford forums for a while, also wouldn't midn knowing everything hama just asked :)

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
I remember you and I having a discussion a while back on the merits of Standard vs Airod vs Blos...but from what you have described you seem really convinced that the BLOS mixer really stands out.

So if I am correct in assuming that the BLOS mixer gives greater draw across the entire rev range, allowing it to rev faster and rev out, giving greater down low/up high draw/torque rather than fading out. Starting is easy? Driveability much better down low?

How is the fuel efficiency? Has it improved or use more since the install of the BLOS?

Given your feedback, I'm very interested in replacing my Standard IMPCO mixer ring with a BLOS one, however I can't find them on ebay, could you throw up a few links or useful websites for them? What's the average cost also?

EDIT: On the BLOS mixer, do you run the standard memcal the way it was programmed with the conversion, or do you run a different set up, i.e. Dual Map, if so, how did you do it?

Hi Mate - You cant use Impco gear with a Blos - it has to be a positive pressure complex convertor such as an Airod - The Blos gives an even draw right across the rev range - so compared to a std ring mixer yes its greater draw. I originally fitted this without the air cleaner & only ran it on petrol & tried it on & off - there was no difference in power what so ever - it works on the same principle as an SU carby (or even the Impco simple mixer is similar though it does restrict a bit because the IMPCO convertor is negative pressure & requires much greater draw than a positive system) - for those of you that remember such things.

I just checked on Ebay & there isn't anything - maybe you just have to wait for a while - I do have the guys email address so I can look for that & see how you go - its probably cheaper to do it this way as there are no Ebay fees. I will see what I can do there& I think that it was around $240 inc freight.

I think fuel economy has improved slightly - drive ability is what I am after & that means no top end restriction - it means being able to drive it just like petrol especially with low revs & high engine load such as climbing a hill & ease of starting. Its benefits are more apparent with a manual rather than an Auto though.

As for the Memcal - I use a std Holden Dual map LPG / petrol VS Memcal from a factory fitted system - It requires an extra wire to be run from the LPG changeover switch to the computer - to change maps - I bought mine from a LPG wholesaler in Brisbane & I can find out for you - just cant remember at the moment.

When I had the system fitted originally it was using a petrol start / std ring mixer / std Memcal - it was like a pig..

Apexus has details on wiring the system & using the holden petrol fuel guage

http://www.apexus.com.au/document/kits/qk102.pdf

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
I would also be interested in details of this, I was thinking about going a BLOS a while ago but wasn't sure how much power loss it had on petrol... If you dont mind me asking what is the internal diametre of the smallest part of the BLOS?

Been looking at this on the ford forums for a while, also wouldn't midn knowing everything hama just asked :)

Bit hard to work that out as its not round - but take my word for it that its greater than anything else you have seen - almost twice the size of std VS ring Mixer they use one for V8's for daily drivers & work great on some web pages that I have seen - for performance on a V8 I would use two - just depends on what you want to do - I am that convinced that If your not happy with what you get - I will buy the Blos off you - the only way you wont get the same response as I did is if you dont get it setup right & its easy to setup

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is his email address I will send a message through Ebay as well (just in case he has changed his email) if one of you would send him an email

[email protected]

I had chatted with him about buying them & selling them here in Australia myself & here is the prices for a 6 buy & not through Ebay - which is slightly old so it might change - if a few of you got together & did a bulk deal you should be able to get them at similar prices.

I would be glad to sell you the carbs in quantity rather than sending single pieces. To be honest it's not a great deal on these carbs, so I can't offer much. At 6pcs I could make each piece AU$155, priority postage $125 and insurance $20. So one piece would cost you $180.

Good luck Marc

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is his sellers id from Ebay & if you search for "lpg mixer" quite a few items come up & you can contact him through one of his items that are there - I cant send him a message through Ebay as the sale is over 6 months old.

Mr.Mixer LPG Parts Shop

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Hi Mate - You cant use Impco gear with a Blos - it has to be a positive pressure complex convertor such as an Airod - The Blos gives an even draw right across the rev range - so compared to a std ring mixer yes its greater draw. I originally fitted this without the air cleaner & only ran it on petrol & tried it on & off - there was no difference in power what so ever - it works on the same principle as an SU carby (or even the Impco simple mixer is similar though it does restrict a bit because the IMPCO convertor is negative pressure & requires much greater draw than a positive system) - for those of you that remember such things.

I just checked on Ebay & there isn't anything - maybe you just have to wait for a while - I do have the guys email address so I can look for that & see how you go - its probably cheaper to do it this way as there are no Ebay fees. I will see what I can do there& I think that it was around $240 inc freight.

I think fuel economy has improved slightly - drive ability is what I am after & that means no top end restriction - it means being able to drive it just like petrol especially with low revs & high engine load such as climbing a hill & ease of starting. Its benefits are more apparent with a manual rather than an Auto though.

As for the Memcal - I use a std Holden Dual map LPG / petrol VS Memcal from a factory fitted system - It requires an extra wire to be run from the LPG changeover switch to the computer - to change maps - I bought mine from a LPG wholesaler in Brisbane & I can find out for you - just cant remember at the moment.

When I had the system fitted originally it was using a petrol start / std ring mixer / std Memcal - it was like a pig..

Apexus has details on wiring the system & using the holden petrol fuel guage

http://www.apexus.com.au/document/kits/qk102.pdf

Ok, so if I was going to do the BLOS mixer changeover, I would need the positive pressure convertor... anything else? can you link me to an appropriate convertor/parts needed?

Cool, if you could check with the guy about stock or prices etc, that would be great.

I'd be sold on driveability, mine is a pig, it starts well, but has zero guts at all, petrol or gas.. Gas doesn't rev hard or want to get moving, so hopefully this mixer can solve a few problems.

On the memcal side of things, I'll double check with the firm that did my conversion, but I believe it's the standard memcal... the gauge is hooked up to the stock cluster one, displays the fuel currently selected.

So what is the full list of parts I would need to change from the IMPCO system?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Also, I've heard great things about Gas Research as well, in what ways do you think the BLOS has advantages over GR?

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is his sellers id from Ebay & if you search for "lpg mixer" quite a few items come up & you can contact him through one of his items that are there - I cant send him a message through Ebay as the sale is over 6 months old.

Mr.Mixer LPG Parts Shop