Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Window Tint ULTRA MEGA MEGA THREAD!!!

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Funny that the wifes VS exactlly same senario as you 2 guys. One morning rear was smashed like that. ( parked in garage o/night)
Starting to think this is a prob with VS models.

Obriens said could have been when they cut the tint they could have scorched the windscreen but tint was done +5yrs before.

Anyone out there had this same prob with a VR (same body shape as VS) or is this just a VS prob, have many cars tinted with no prob.

cantelo

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Column Shift?
I rang tint-a-car This morning, They reakon thay havnt ever heard anything like it, it has nothing to do with the tint he said, Insurance he rekens. Screw that I have to Pay $300 - $500 excess or some **** the lady was saying at HBF and also loose my 30% discount. Ive rung some other Tint places And they think it was tint that shattered my window. one said the tint and the window go warm at different times so one expands quicker causing it to shatter, another said Tint-a-car may have shorted out the demister causing an electric current to run through the window and Bang. if this has happened before dont you think that tint people should have a list of things to be careful of ?? i might just have go marching into Tint-a-car. :b: :b: :b:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
cantelo said:
I rang tint-a-car This morning, They reakon thay havnt ever heard anything like it, it has nothing to do with the tint he said, Insurance he rekens. Screw that I have to Pay $300 - $500 excess or some **** the lady was saying at HBF and also loose my 30% discount. Ive rung some other Tint places And they think it was tint that shattered my window. one said the tint and the window go warm at different times so one expands quicker causing it to shatter, another said Tint-a-car may have shorted out the demister causing an electric current to run through the window and Bang. if this has happened before dont you think that tint people should have a list of things to be careful of ?? i might just have go marching into Tint-a-car. :b: :b: :b:
the shorting out sounds like a lagit awnser to me when i first read it was my enishal guess, but the idea of them heating up at diffren speeds and making it pops is also a good theory,
best bets go in and question them and say that you have asked around numerous tinting places places and found that the tint is the likly cause of this poping of the window, ad if nothing happens from there send in a letter to the head office or something along the lines explaning your problem and that you are unhappy with there product

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well the thing is you can't really prove its the tints fault. So tint-a-car aren't going to be saying yes of course it was the tint.

Look at your demister, is it connected, I was always under the impression that with demisters they wouldn't work at all if one terminal wasn't connected and/or if there was a break in the line.

I'm sticking to the cold day, stress in the glass from other factors, driving hard, subs if you have them and then the sudden heat may have just caught it off guard.

yosy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5.0
If the demister shorted and overheated somehow it would of burned the tint
cause thats how hot the wire on the window would have had to be to smash it like that and the tint and tint glue causing more strss than the window can handle maby
but if your car is slowly bending over time or
you park on lawn alot you can bend it and then a bump can smash it while your driving
ive had it happen once paked on a lawn that was uneaven car sat overnight and bent slightly
was warm when stopped and cooled down warping
reversed out the driveway warping it in the opposite direction and crack strait through the front window cracked diaganally across
but if the front was made out of the same type of glass the rear one is it would of shatterd the same

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
yosy said:
If the demister shorted and overheated somehow it would of burned the tint
cause thats how hot the wire on the window would have had to be to smash it like that and the tint and tint glue causing more strss than the window can handle maby
but if your car is slowly bending over time or
you park on lawn alot you can bend it and then a bump can smash it while your driving
ive had it happen once paked on a lawn that was uneaven car sat overnight and bent slightly
was warm when stopped and cooled down warping
reversed out the driveway warping it in the opposite direction and crack strait through the front window cracked diaganally across
but if the front was made out of the same type of glass the rear one is it would of shatterd the same

you bent a car?

yosy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5.0
yeh every car bends slightly on uneven ground
some more than others

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i dont neccessarily agree with yosy's reasoning for the windscreen shattering...but cars do flex, probably alot more than you realise.
i realised this when driving my car to the windscreen place...the still intact but shattered windscreen would creak and carry on heaps when you went over bumps, in/out of driveways and during hard cornering....it made me think of just how much stress must be put on solid fixtures (like glass) on a car.