Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There's only one pin for switching the cooling fan whether it's a V8 or V6, VN or VP; they use the same ECM, just the MemCal is different.

The A/C fan should push air through from the grille side to the engine side of the radiator.

The only difference in the way that the V8 and V6 fans operate is the switching temps. Is that what was changed in the MemCal?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
What would you expect to pay for a set of AU fans?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Im sure the diagram 4 the V6 ECU had 2 pin outs? 1 being the A/C pin out and the other 4 the thermo fan but i could b wrong as i only have a 5L wiring diagram and only saw a V6 1 breifly.

But yeah the memcal has been enabled so it can operate the thermos switching temps (as if it was a V6), which with only having the 1 pin out i think it mayb confusing the A/C fan thinking its the V6 thermo fan now which is telling me the memcal is doing its job but again i dont know how the A/C and thermos fans r supposed 2 opperate 2gether?

Yeah my A/C fan is pushing the air out of the front of the grill and not 2wards the engine (like the AU thermos do) which is y i think its working against each other if they r supposed 2 all work at the same time using this 1 pin out?

after ive sussed this out i want 2 use that A/C pin out if thats wat im supposed 2 hook the AU thermos up 2? so they work off the ECU and do away with the manual switch.

What would you expect to pay for a set of AU fans?

I paid $60 4 mine through the local paper. was gettin a few wreckers wanting $80-$110 tho

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
does any1 have a V6 ECU wiring diagram 2 check if they did have only the 1 or 2 pin outs???

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
to answer your original question wrx884, just pull the a/c fan off now you wont need it as the au fans are more than powerful enough to look after the whole system.

you will notice when you turn the a/c on that the fans will turn on straight away and still turn on/off automatically when a/c is not in use.

also if you are looking for the signal wire now the function is turned i just used the blue wire (#85 on the a/c fan relay) saves running a long wire from the ecu

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
to answer your original question wrx884, just pull the a/c fan off now you wont need it as the au fans are more than powerful enough to look after the whole system.

you will notice when you turn the a/c on that the fans will turn on straight away and still turn on/off automatically when a/c is not in use.

also if you are looking for the signal wire now the function is turned i just used the blue wire (#85 on the a/c fan relay) saves running a long wire from the ecu

Yeah? ok i'll give that a go and see how it goes cheers man :)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Im sure the diagram 4 the V6 ECU had 2 pin outs? 1 being the A/C pin out and the other 4 the thermo fan but i could b wrong as i only have a 5L wiring diagram and only saw a V6 1 breifly.

But yeah the memcal has been enabled so it can operate the thermos switching temps (as if it was a V6), which with only having the 1 pin out i think it mayb confusing the A/C fan thinking its the V6 thermo fan now which is telling me the memcal is doing its job but again i dont know how the A/C and thermos fans r supposed 2 opperate 2gether?

Yeah my A/C fan is pushing the air out of the front of the grill and not 2wards the engine (like the AU thermos do) which is y i think its working against each other if they r supposed 2 all work at the same time using this 1 pin out?

after ive sussed this out i want 2 use that A/C pin out if thats wat im supposed 2 hook the AU thermos up 2? so they work off the ECU and do away with the manual switch.

The A/C auxiliary fan on V8 or the single cooling fan on V6 are each switched via the ECM on C1, which is connected to the switching side of the relevant fan relay - one or the other only on OEM. There is no auxiliary fan and cooling fan switching.

The current draw through a relay is quite low so you may get away with switching both (or indeed all three if you retain the aux. fan) of the new fan relays to earth in parallel via C1. If there is any doubt, safer will be to use the ECM to switch a transitor or even another (low amp? - all that is required) relay that will switch the other relays (wired in parallel).

The A/C connections at the ECM are an input on B8, indicating to the ECM that the A/C temp., A/C control, interior fan and A/C pressure switches - in series - are all closed, and an output that switches the A/C compressor relay by earthing C2.

On a V8 the aux. fan is switched on with a coolant temp. of 107C and off at 101C as a compensation for extreme conditions.

V6 is on at 102C, off at 99C, normal operating temps..

There may be some variation depending on which MemCal is used but those are pretty typical.

Both the V6 and V8 fans are on with A/C input on B8 and road speed below 55km/h.

If you are using the ECM to switch a fan or fans to provide normal cooling on a V8 the switching temp. in the MemCal has to be lowered, even lower than the V6 temps. because the V8s run cooler than V6. As a good indication of 304 running temps., the switching temps. for VT 304 are in the "How To" by immortality on switching the fan manually. It would be a good idea, if you have not done so already (^...^?) to check what temp. the MemCal is switching at against those VT temps.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
The A/C auxiliary fan on V8 or the single cooling fan on V6 are each switched via the ECM on C1, which is connected to the switching side of the relevant fan relay - one or the other only on OEM. There is no auxiliary fan and cooling fan switching.

The current draw through a relay is quite low so you may get away with switching both (or indeed all three if you retain the aux. fan) of the new fan relays to earth in parallel via C1. If there is any doubt, safer will be to use the ECM to switch a transitor or even another (low amp? - all that is required) relay that will switch the other relays (wired in parallel).

The A/C connections at the ECM are an input on B8, indicating to the ECM that the A/C temp., A/C control, interior fan and A/C pressure switches - in series - are all closed, and an output that switches the A/C compressor relay by earthing C2.

On a V8 the aux. fan is switched on with a coolant temp. of 107C and off at 101C as a compensation for extreme conditions.

V6 is on at 102C, off at 99C, normal operating temps..

There may be some variation depending on which MemCal is used but those are pretty typical.

Both the V6 and V8 fans are on with A/C input on B8 and road speed below 55km/h.

If you are using the ECM to switch a fan or fans to provide normal cooling on a V8 the switching temp. in the MemCal has to be lowered, even lower than the V6 temps. because the V8s run cooler than V6. As a good indication of 304 running temps., the switching temps. for VT 304 are in the "How To" by immortality on switching the fan manually. It would be a good idea, if you have not done so already (^...^?) to check what temp. the MemCal is switching at against those VT temps.

Cheers man ive had the memcal set at 91C low fan and 94C high fan, was done by greenfoam since he did the tune.

If i dont need 2 have the A/C fan there then i'll do away with it so there can b more airflow i guess and just let the AU themos do the work.

Ive already got 2 relays hooked up 2 the manual switch (1 4 each fan) so would i just need 2 then run my wiring from the switch 2 the A/C fan relay like u said and thats it done? Do u know if the C1 pin out is switched on by a positive feed or negative?

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
yeh greenfoam did mine too at those same temps, worked really well and always stayed at about the 1/4 mark.

i had both my relays switched by the one connection set parallel, thought i had a pic in my ride thread but its not close enough and honestly you wont need the original fan on the front of the radiator