Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
I couldn’t get the brand of tyres I usually fit in the size I was after for my C63 and had the Falken Azenis FK453 fitted as a stop gap measure.

The tyre sizes are: front 245/30ZR20 and rear 285/25ZR20.

They performed very well in the dry but are totally useless in the wet.

I can’t get traction when moving off from a standing start or at low speed acceleration which means I’m constantly feathering the accelerator to try and maintain grip and that is with everything dial down to comfort mode and with the trans starting in second gear.

I’d be forever driving back to front if I switched all the driver’s aids off.

The replacement for the outgoing FK453 is the Azenis FK510 and Falken says they have addressed the wet weather traction issues with this new update but I’ve sworn off Falken because of the problem I had with the FK453’s.

That’s my take which doesn’t really help as I haven’t tested the 510’s and they could be perfect but I’ll never know as the last series was so much rubbish in the wet when you really need a tyre to perform that I’ll never go back to Falken again.

Cheers. Yeah I defiantly want traction in the wet. I'll just have to see how these go, but I really didn't want to spend $500 per tyre that they wanted for the Potenza's, which is a bit of a cop out when I'll spend money on making it go harder.

Anyway I'll just peel out of the tyre shop tonight and let you all know how they grip.:D

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
Cheers. Yeah I defiantly want traction in the wet. I'll just have to see how these go, but I really didn't want to spend $500 per tyre that they wanted for the Potenza's, which is a bit of a cop out when I'll spend money on making it go harder.

Anyway I'll just peel out of the tyre shop tonight and let you all know how they grip.:D

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Don't forget, tyres aren't the only variable. You can adjust camber and toe as well to impact how the car handles. I switched to the RE003's on my Motorsport and got a more aggressive geometry as well, with negative camber added to the front and positive toe added to the rear. I can't separate the tyres and the geometry changes as they happened at the same time, but I can say that the grip on my Motorsport and the front end turn in improved dramatically. The car's stability mid-corner on track was significantly better and it gave me so much more confidence in the car. I can't fault my current setup, both on the road in dry and wet conditions, and on track. I have done two track days and about 5000kms on this setup and the tyres have lots more in them.

42526115_700523216986377_8919863091936624640_n.jpg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Don't forget, tyres aren't the only variable. You can adjust camber and toe as well to impact how the car handles. I switched to the RE003's on my Motorsport and got a more aggressive geometry as well, with negative camber added to the front and positive toe added to the rear. I can't separate the tyres and the geometry changes as they happened at the same time, but I can say that the grip on my Motorsport and the front end turn in improved dramatically. The car's stability mid-corner on track was significantly better and it gave me so much more confidence in the car. I can't fault my current setup, both on the road in dry and wet conditions, and on track. I have done two track days and about 5000kms on this setup and the tyres have lots more in them.

View attachment 206280

Where did you get the alignment done?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Where did you get the alignment done?

At the Bridgestone dealership while getting my RE003's fitted. As a customer, they offer a free tyre check and rotation every 6 months. I've been back twice to check the tyres are okay. The good thing about going through them was I got legit tyres made in Japan. The ones they sell at Costco are made in Thailand and they're only a little bit cheaper.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
At the Bridgestone dealership while getting my RE003's fitted. As a customer, they offer a free tyre check and rotation every 6 months. I've been back twice to check the tyres are okay. The good thing about going through them was I got legit tyres made in Japan. The ones they sell at Costco are made in Thailand and they're only a little bit cheaper.

Are the VF factory fitted Bridgestone's made in Japan? Mine were junk...
My MY12 Redline Bridgestone's were great, lasted about 60k.
Same with the Maloo, although the rears were gone at 35k, but even looking like slicks, they still had more grip than the crap Holden fitted on the Magnum.

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
Well they seem to grip ok, so far. However on the drive home I noticed i have a massive wheel alignment issue now. The car dives to the left bad. I didn't really think getting new rears would affect the front end, but I could be wrong.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
It can unfortunately, the alignment will be set to compensate for the worn tyres you had on the car so will change the specs now, sometimes swapping the front wheels help reduce it. But best get the alignment redone

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tyre wear patterns can cause the car to go one direction or another.....You can fiddle with alignment settings to try and compensate for it, but 9 times out of 10, it doesn't work

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Are the VF factory fitted Bridgestone's made in Japan? Mine were junk...
My MY12 Redline Bridgestone's were great, lasted about 60k.
Same with the Maloo, although the rears were gone at 35k, but even looking like slicks, they still had more grip than the crap Holden fitted on the Magnum.
How you finna have 3 utes when i got just one