Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body cleanup once a year, from now on.

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Not to mention also fouling your oil!!

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
hakhawk said:
harvs is correct, theres (atleast on vn-vr) a hose that on my vn went from rocker cover to the throttlebody, before the butterfly, and vn s2 onwards i think is a pipe from intake manifold to throttlebody.

i removed mine when i got my new rocker covers, coz i didnt want to drill a hole in them, and it is still clean becuase of it, but i dont think the epa would be happy.

we're lucky with the vn-vr, stuff all emissions stuff, mostly controlled by ecu, the equivalent american version of the v6 has some serious emissions crap on it and the motors suffer as a result, due to excess carbon build up.

i think the vt went back to extra emission gear on the motor.

Jesus, where does all your crank pressure go then?
At high RPM you could blow a gasket or someting!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
well, its been running for over 6 months without a problem, and i think thats what the pcv valve is for aswell. im not sure, but the motor runs fine.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
hakhawk said:
well, its been running for over 6 months without a problem, and i think thats what the pcv valve is for aswell. im not sure, but the motor runs fine.

I think you would find it would run better with it vented.
I know when i cleaned my TB i forgot to hook mine back up. When the car was running i put my hand over it and there was a lot of air coming out of mine. Increased with revs too.
I think the PCV valve does only so much.

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
Has anyone re-routered the PCV hose so its not going into the throttle?...
Instead have it going off to a catch can and/or filter. I've been told this greatly reduces carbon build up on throttle body and the plenum chamber.(despite being technically illegal) Does anyone have diagrams/pics of this been done?
Also its recommended to clean out the Plenum Chamber when cleaning the throttle body, as the air will be restricted as it enters here.

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
i asked my mate to help me clean my throttle body an he said just put some injector cleaner in my fuel and that will clean the throttle body aswell as the injectors... is this true?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Tom04 said:
i asked my mate to help me clean my throttle body an he said just put some injector cleaner in my fuel and that will clean the throttle body aswell as the injectors... is this true?

Ah no...

The fuel injector cleaner will only clean the crap out of the fuel system, such as the rails and injectors. It has nothing to do with the throttle body at all. It is very simple to clean the throttle body, just pull in the intake piping off, and squirt it in there, scrub with a toothbrush and rag, to clean it all off.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would take the throttle body out before cleaning it. When you see the crap that you take out, you dont want that going through the engine.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I agree, I can't understand why people what to do a half ass job, when it come to cleaning the throttle body.:ranting: