Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

throttle body plenum to manifold spacer, power increase if removed?

Mr spinalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5spd executive
a mate told me to take off the thick rubber gasket/spacer that goes on that small 90 degree plenum that the throttle body bolts to, not sure if this is true or not please let me know
thanks guys.
PS. its a VR S2

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Called a bellmouth. You can remove it if you want, or cut it up and put it back in. Wont make a noticable improvment though.

Mr spinalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5spd executive
if i remove the "bellmouth" what would i put there to replace it??? eg. gasket...because i'd rather not hack up the bellmouth just in case i want it back on.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The early VN's had no bellmouth fitted at all.Theres just a gasket where the bellmouth goes.Just use a gasket between the two joints when you remove the bellmouth..The early VN's did seem to go a bit better than the later releases.I vaguely remember reading somewhere that some early VN's idled a bit rough, and the bellmouth supposedly made the V6 idle smoother.I dont know how true this is though.If you have a look at a bellmouth,it definitely makes the inlet plenum have a smaller diameter for the air to have to go through,which would have to inhibit or interupt the airflow a fair bit in my opinion.It was not in the original inlet manifold design,so it doesnt need to be there anyway..

Mr spinalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5spd executive
yea ok mate thanks i give it a go.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bit of a weird way of putting it.

How is that weird.The first releases of the V6 here in Aus didnt use any bellmouth.It was added later on.Hence its not part of the original design.

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
does this part affect fuel economy at all?

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
How is that weird.The first releases of the V6 here in Aus didnt use any bellmouth.It was added later on.Hence its not part of the original design.

Well neither were bearings in the bases of the rockers. That doesnt mean you are better off with out them.