Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throwout bearing/clutch issue, or bad gearbox?

jackvs1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS SII
Hey guys,

I have a vs ecotec that I did a getrag manual conversion on a few months back, I installed a brand new clutch kit with solid flywheel, got it going all good then about 500 or so kms later, I started to get a grinding sound every now and then on the grab point of the clutch when I'd go to engage it from a stop.

Now I've done around 5000km since being manual and the clutch area makes a bad grinding sound basically every time I engage the clutch moving or not still only on the grab point of the clutch, if I disengage the clutch while rolling, weather or not I'm in gear and rev the car above 3k rpm, there are also now quick grinding sounds that happen if I keep the revs held up there.

There is no sound when the clutch is fully engaged at any rpm and no sound when the clutch is disengaged and the revs are below 3k.

I have no idea what this could be but I'm mostly leaning towards throwout bearing, if anyone else has had this issue please let me know.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Most likely thrust bearing noise. They can go faulty when the crank spigot bushing is incorrect or not installed.

jackvs1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS SII
A bad thrust race will make noise any time there is a load on it, even @ idle in neutral and clutch depressed. It's a growly/groaning noise.
Your problem seems to be under load, ie when the clutch is taking up.
It could be bent driving straps.
Is the clutch 'feel' any different.
No it doesn't, the clutch feels exactly the same as the day I installed it, the amount of freeplay in the pedal hasn't changed either.

If I take off at idle speed ie. engage the clutch to get going without adding throttle it doesn't make the sound, nor if I down shift to a lower gear when slowing down.

jackvs1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS SII
Most likely thrust bearing noise. They can go faulty when the crank spigot bushing is incorrect or not installed.
I definitely have the right Spigot bushing installed, but it's possible I could've not installed it properly, the gearbox input shaft was extremely hard to get into the Spigot bushing when installing it aswell, we wiggled it quite a bit, maybe the Spigot bush is damaged now?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey guys,

I have a vs ecotec that I did a getrag manual conversion on a few months back, I installed a brand new clutch kit with solid flywheel, got it going all good then about 500 or so kms later, I started to get a grinding sound every now and then on the grab point of the clutch when I'd go to engage it from a stop.

Now I've done around 5000km since being manual and the clutch area makes a bad grinding sound basically every time I engage the clutch moving or not still only on the grab point of the clutch, if I disengage the clutch while rolling, weather or not I'm in gear and rev the car above 3k rpm, there are also now quick grinding sounds that happen if I keep the revs held up there.

There is no sound when the clutch is fully engaged at any rpm and no sound when the clutch is disengaged and the revs are below 3k.

I have no idea what this could be but I'm mostly leaning towards throwout bearing, if anyone else has had this issue please let me know.

Yeah honestly - I think it's the entire car which is the problem. Best crush it and start again.

jackvs1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS SII
Did you use a clutch alignment tool.
Was the gearbox supported while being mated to the engine.
If you were rough with the spigot it may place undue stress on the front bearing and input shaft.
Was the pressure plate torqued down evenly in stages.
Yep I used the alignment tool that came with the clutch kit, torqued both the flywheel and pressure plate evenly in a star pattern to spec, I had the gearbox supported the whole time aswell.

jackvs1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS SII
You've done everything by the book.
The only thing I can think of is clutch plate failure.
Unless a bolt or two are backing out on the plate. Threads were locked?
Ah I should've mentioned that, yes I put blue loctite on all flywheel and pressure plate threads.