Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thump Thump Thump in Rear End Somewhere?

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Hi,
For the last 6 months or so I have had this very annoying thump thump noise in the rear end somewhere. It sounds like I have square tyres but the tyres are relatively new and even if I rotate them the noise is still there.

My VY V6 sedan I have had since new and have just clocked up 220Km. And apart from a new alternator everything else is pretty much original on it.

I put it in for a service the other day but the mechanic could only narrow it down to 3 ideas as he was strapped for time so therefore could not investigate further. His ideas were, inner CV joint, rear bearings or a handbrake catching as the wheel rotates?noise

I'm driving to Sydney in a couple of weeks and would love to try and eliminate this noise.

Any ideas at all?

Cheers,
John

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Does it get faster as car gets faster

Do u have a subwoofer :)

Get someone else to drive it. Sit in the back or lay in the boot

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Does it get faster as car gets faster

Do u have a subwoofer :)

Get someone else to drive it. Sit in the back or lay in the boot

Yes it does seem to get faster the faster I go, but is harder to hear just because of the extra road noise at higher speed.

Nah no subwoofer.

I got the mechanic and his apprentice to take it for a spin to see what they could make of it, but no the mechanic was only guessing.

Cheers,
John

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its not the TS bearing is it? I would think that would be close to needing replacement if you're still nursing the original one.

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Its not the TS bearing is it? I would think that would be close to needing replacement if you're still nursing the original one.
Hi,
Is that the same as the cv joint bearing, and by TS you're meaning tail shaft?

Yes everything is still pretty much original.

Cheers,
John

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah tailshaft Centre bearing. Its probably not because he should have checked it when he had it up on the hoist.

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Yeah tailshaft Centre bearing. Its probably not because he should have checked it when he had it up on the hoist.
You would hope that he did, but in this day and age one never really knows unless you hover over them and watch every move. And if someone was watching me like that, I would soon ask them to poq. First time I have used this mechanic as he came recommended.

Cheers,
John