Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking sound from engine after startup

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Good morning peoples!

Just thought that I'd ask 2 quick questions as I can't seem to hit the nail on the head with these. Firstly, as the title specifies, after I start up the car and whilst waiting for the car to warm up, I hear a constant "ticking" noise coming from the motor. When I rev the car too, I can still hear the clicking thru the heavy revving.

1st gear seems a bit rough after startup but as the engine gets warmer, the ticking disappears too. It's approaching it's 170K service soon (might need new/more oil, not sure) and I have recently just replaced the ignition leads that were causing my 80-100km/h gear change to drop out. What's the damn ticking?????? :bang:

One other thing that is getting me. I am getting a leak under the car (sometimes the leak is quite a heavy leak and sometime it's a small drip). Looks like tranny fluid; it's definitely not power steering fluid as the pump has just recently been replaced. I've also had the rear main seal re-done if that's any consolation. Your thoughts on my 2nd problem?? :whistling

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ticking noise is quite possibly a lifter, and a service will probably quiten this down.

Re the fluid leak, check all the lines going to and from the pump and rack, the hose clamps on the lines need regular tightening as the hose hardens and shrinks with age. Getting under the car and having a look around may lead you to where the fluid is leaking from.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Ticking noise is quite possibly a lifter, and a service will probably quiten this down.

Re the fluid leak, check all the lines going to and from the pump and rack, the hose clamps on the lines need regular tightening as the hose hardens and shrinks with age. Getting under the car and having a look around may lead you to where the fluid is leaking from.

Service. Gotcha. I was going to do the 170K service soon anyway. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Lines going to and from the pump and rack - you mean from the steering pump ??

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
i take it that it ticks for a few seconds then shuts up? it will be the top end, a rocker or a lifter ticking untill it gets the oil from the pump, a lot of ecotecs ive herd do it so i wouild nt be too worried

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes, from the power steering pump. The fluid will run down the lines and drip from under the car making it look like a transmission leak.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Yes, from the power steering pump. The fluid will run down the lines and drip from under the car making it look like a transmission leak.

Cool, isn't this something that the mechanic should have checked/tightened before/after he installed the new power steering pump???? :bang:

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
i take it that it ticks for a few seconds then shuts up? it will be the top end, a rocker or a lifter ticking untill it gets the oil from the pump, a lot of ecotecs ive herd do it so i wouild nt be too worried

It actually ticks for the entire duration that I'm waiting for my car to warm up. Once i think the car is warm i drive off and then it goes away after a few gear changes.......................this is the normal you're trying to get at yeah?:whistling

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Lifter noise is common in ecotecs and a lot of the time it is related to oil choice and regularity of changes. Once the car is warm and the oil has a chance to circulate properly, the noise gets less.

Once a job is finished and you drive away, sometimes it takes a bit of time for all the parts and connections to settle in. They will often need to be retightened after a short period of time due to heat and expansion/contraction of associated parts.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Lifter noise is common in ecotecs and a lot of the time it is related to oil choice and regularity of changes. Once the car is warm and the oil has a chance to circulate properly, the noise gets less.

Once a job is finished and you drive away, sometimes it takes a bit of time for all the parts and connections to settle in. They will often need to be retightened after a short period of time due to heat and expansion/contraction of associated parts.

The ticking noise is probably my car's sign to tell me to service her. It needs it's 170K service soon anyways. Do you have an oil recommendation dude? I believe that the Penrite HPR10 is a good one?? Is that right?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
HPR10 is a pretty good oil. Mobil make good products also. I use Shell Helix 20W50, but I have a VS, the same grade oil is recommended for the VT as well. Just use a quality oil with the correct rating. Castrol Magnatec is supposed to be good as well.