Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking sound on startup GenIII

NightShadow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubby R8
Hi all

I have a question hopefully I maybe able to get an answer to. When I first start the car the engine has a ticking (tic tic tic 9like a tappet sound)) noise for the first min or so then it goes away, it's like the oils taking a while to cycle through the engine. If I start it again after only like 5-10 min sitting it's fine but if I leave it for more then like 1/2 hour or so it will do it again. Any ideas sugestions would be appreciated.. thanks. :unsure: Lifters maybe?

Last edited:

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Just about every LS1 I have driven does this when its has had the incorrect oil in it.

Holden Service Centre's even do this... I had Castrol Magnatec put in mine twice in a row even when I had asked them and paid the extra to have mobil1 put in it. The castrol sucks for LS1's

Change your oil to Mobil1 or a top of the range fully synthetic oil of another brand and see how you go. Throw some Nulon lifter free or Wynns engine tune up in for about 100 k's then use some engine flush just B4 you change.

Are you having any other problems with the car?

NightShadow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubby R8
Thanks helly will give this a shot next week :thumbsup:

hrforever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
V6 similar

Have had the same problem after an oil change done by Ultra Tune. Definitely lifter noise. Saw another mechanic who said 20W-50 oil is what would normally be used by those who do not know any better and recommended 10w_30.
Have done the oil change with new filter (cannot remember oil brand) but the problem has gone away.

D

drift450

Just did a oil and filter change. Put in Holden 5W 30. should this be okay? 'Spose to be full synth, cheaper than Mobile 1, not sure if as good though. Any comments???