Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for the Harmonic Balancer.

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yes, its time to replace the balancer. While i am at it I am also going to replace the crank angle sensor as well as the crank angle seal. Can any one suggest anything else to do while i am playing in that area? Its a VR 3.8L auto.:thumbsup:

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
curse and swear your head off lol:whistling:D

on a another note...not really just check the key way

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
front main seal.Extra 5 min and $5 while your there.

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
Timing chain if you get keen!

Lush

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Changing the balancer is easy & believe it or not the car will go heaps better after you put a new one on.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I get a slight wobble from it at idle but when I rev it goes away...Does mean the Balancer is on it's way out? Is it common for them to wobble slightly on idle? Should I be panicing?

Lush

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Its on its way out but you will know when its totally flogged out.... it sounds like a big end has gone and your motor is about to explode. On the inside of the balancer is a lug of metal that hits the outside when the balancer is flogged. Ideally you change it before it gets to this stage, perhaps as the wobble gets worse. Mind you, don't leave it tool long as you can stuff the CAS if the metal fins on the balancer hit it when it gets too worn.

Kelly04

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 96 S2 station wagon
harmonic balancer

Hi, I have a question I have a VS Commodore and my car is running good when i put my foot down on the pedal about 1/4 way it makes a whistle sound. Is this a cause from the harmonic balancer?! Also I checked the harmonic balancer and it jiggles a bit is this when i know that it is going? any help would be great......:)

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Its on its way out but you will know when its totally flogged out.... it sounds like a big end has gone and your motor is about to explode. On the inside of the balancer is a lug of metal that hits the outside when the balancer is flogged. Ideally you change it before it gets to this stage, perhaps as the wobble gets worse. Mind you, don't leave it tool long as you can stuff the CAS if the metal fins on the balancer hit it when it gets too worn.

yeh mate, happened to my old VR harmonic balancer had enough and decided to take the CAS out with it... got it all sorted... then 2 days later i was back in there replacing the DFI lol... but it went good from there.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i don't want to hijack the thread, buy Kelly's whistle sound could be an air leak on the air intake pipe or the top cover of the plenum chamber. Tighten up the clamps and screws.